LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Fuel pump Issue,HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump Issue,HELP

Hey all, bear with me here on the story, just thought I should let everyone know of every event that has happened since the replacement and up to the issue.
>>>>>>I just last week replaced the fuel pump on my 1993 Camaro Z28, I did the trap door method for easy access. and I did not replace the whole assembly, just the pump itself. The reason I replaced it was due to the car not starting right away, and having to be "primed" I guess you could say (turning key on and off several times) before it would start. After replacing I started to notice the new pump was not near as loud as the one I took out, but it did seem to start a little easier. However it did still require some priming, especially depending on the weather (colder the more work it took). Anyway one day at work I did not hear the fuel pump at all when going to leave, the engine would not start being as there was no fuel to it.. after getting frustrated and waiting a few minutes it magically started working again. After several days of driving with no new issues, I was with a friend one day when we realized my Coolant Temp Sensor was unplugged from the previous owner for some reason, and zip tied to another set of wires, I plugged it back in at the water pump and BAM the car began to start first try every time (even eliminated the SES light for a while), regardless of weather for a couple more days. well this morning I went to get in it and it was probably in the low 40's this morning, windows were frosted etc., etc. and when I went to start it, no fuel pump noise, nothing at all, I waited several minutes and nothing. after leaving for school in the spare car I came back after it had warmed up and still nothing. I checked all fuses that I believed may be linked to the fuel pump (not sure if there is one) and they were all good. not sure on what the issue is unless one of the plugs magically came undone from the pump itself or the pump is just bad, still need to check this. if anyone has any info or tips please let me know, sorry about the long read.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would look at the fuel pump relay
Old 03-21-2016, 07:06 PM

How do you check the relay? its under the driver side kick panel isn't it?
Old 03-21-2016, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

You can look for visual cues like melting, which mine had, or run a test using a volt meter. It is under the kick panel BTW

My failing relay caused a couple premature pump failures before I traced it.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:59 PM
TECH Veteran

There is also a security relay under the glove box that can cause a no prime/no crank condition if it goes bad.

If it is that, you can bypass it by grounding one of the wires to a nearby bolt...I think it was the yellow one.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:15 PM
On The Tree

Its possible that the connection intank could be at fault. That is the only thing that you should have manipulated during the change, unless you messed with the connection outside the tank as well. If an issue arrises immediately after you make a change, assume its associated with the change.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump Issue,HELP