LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Boost Build Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Boost Build Questions

Hey guys! New to the LT1 world, so excuse the noob questions but I'm hoping to learn quickly!

So I want to do things right from the beginning. I have a '94 T/A. Car runs, but it's no fun being stock. So with that being said I want to build the motor for some decent boost. It will be a daily driver/weekend warrior.

I'd like to be around 650-700whp . I'll be getting a second LT1 to build from the bottom up and then will just swap it into the car once it's ready!

I'm just wondering where to start, what supporting mods I have to get done ? Maybe a good turbo build list from another member!?

Car as it sits:

1994 Trans Am
LT1
SLP intake
LS driveshaft
93 m29 short geared t56
KYB AGX 8 way adjustable shocks
BMR Springs

Any insight is helpful! Budget is not an issue, because I'd like to just do it right the first time and that's it. Now I also don't want to spend $20k on a build.

I also wouldn't be completely against a build for that power that's N/A but from what I've read that would be very difficult with the LT.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-26-2016, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly there are quite a few threads related to this topic. $20k actually is in the low ballpark to do it right. Supercharging is more common and can get you to your goal. Turbo is fine too but be prepared to have someone fab you a kit. You will want to build the rest of the drivetrain to handle the power as well.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:33 PM

Id honestly be open to any option that gets me to the power. I know turbo noises are amazing but maybe an SC or NA build would be awesome too. And really that expensive!? I'd plan on doing all the work myself, and preferably getting the best deal I can on everything I find. But regardless, maybe supercharging will prove to be a better option.

I'd still love to see a build list from somebody , like a real nice low compression build for boost to the 6xx hp range or a nasty high compression N/A build that gets as close to that as possible.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A n/a setup will be hard pressed to get near that goal, not impossible but alot of custom high dollar stuff and streetability/required upkeep will suffer greatly vs a supercharged or turbo build.

A turbo build is great for making power but will take time whether someone fabricates it for you or if you do it yourself. I do believe someone is selling a nice turbo setup on another site that should put you near your goals.

A supercharger setup will be probably the most "plug and play " of all the choices IMO and not require accessory deletion/relocation and cooling systems modifications like a turbo setup.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:43 PM

Ok so basically Supercharging is looking like a more friendly option for the LT1.

So now that this has been determined , what direction should I take to building the motor.

Anybody know of a parts list for a similar build that is floating around somewhere? I want to start sourcing these parts so I can have the motor built up ASAP
Old 03-27-2016, 08:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Do a search on threads started by blackbirdws6. He lists the parts from his car and that will give you a good idea of what it takes to do it right. The issue with that power level, is that your tranny and rear need to be able to handle it as well.

I am about to be in the same boat, I have a .30 0ver splayed 4 bolt LT1 block on the stand now that I am going to build to the 800 RWHP level in the near future.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are Not absolutely in love with your car I would take the 3-4 grand you could get for your car and add the (minimum) 10 grand you will spend on the build and go shop in the for sale section for a boosted LS car.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, please realize that no one here is trying to be discouraging. We have all been there wanting to mod our cars. But we also want to be realistic to someone starting on this journey. You are off to a good start asking questions instead of diving in first. Also use the search feature for "turbo", "supercharger", "forced induction" etc to learn as much as you can.

Lot of things to consider but first would be the engine build, which is your base. You want all forged internals and many people opt to step up to a 383 stroker since you are buying a new crank anyway. General consensus is that 9.0-9.3 compression still feels pretty good on the street in the lower rpm range, but will allow you to run a decent amount of boost.

I would recommend planning on spending for good heads or professionally ported stock heads.

Plan on spending for a decent set of headers and exhaust system.

After the engine build, you need to upgrade rearend, driveshaft and suspension components--torque arm, rear lower control arms, panhard bar, swaybars.

Do the dual fuel pump conversion from the beginning. The upper side of your goal will put you at the limit if the stock fuel lines and rail, so you might want to consider upgrading there.

If I were starting over with the LT1, I would consider converting to the 24x ignition system offered by EFIconnections or Torqhead. This will allow you to use the LS1 PCM which is better to tune for boost. Your goal puts close to the limit of the LT1 PCM.

Supercharging is a little more bolt on, but there are companies that have turbo kits for the LT1.

That should get you going. PM me if I can be of further help. I'm no expert but have plenty of experience in making all the mistake$ the first time around.

For what it is worth, my car isn't quite what your goal is and is still way too much for the street. I can light up the tires at will in 1st and 2nd. But it sure has been a fun project (never ending), is a whole lot of fun to drive and gets a lot of attention wherever I go.

Last edited by David94TA; 03-28-2016 at 05:45 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:56 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Congrats you won't spend 20k for all that, its prob gonna be 25-30!
Old 03-28-2016, 08:45 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Welcome to the LT1 crowd. 650-700 is doable, but like the others said, you will max that 20k. I look back to when I originally built the Formula, kept the engine stock but added the supercharger and with everything else to get the thing in the 10's cost me around 23k. 10's could have been had cheaper, but it was my goal to get there with a stock engine and I do not buy cheap parts.

I am now building an engine for boost and currently have 5500 in pistons, rods, crank, main caps, and some machine work. I still need to get it bored and the assembly balanced.

When I look back to the first build in '02/03 and now, 2 things come to mind.
- #1...I dislike working on my car, hence number #2
- #2...Do not go cheap on this kind of power or you will be doing a lot of #1

At 47 years old I would much prefer to be sitting on my toon drinking beer. But my son gets his license in 3 months, the girl is 2 years out yet, and I want to see both kids run the bird.

If you have a quality local machine shop, get in bed with them and go over your goals. Or, find a reputable builder and get yourself a long block. A D1SC Procharger and even step up to an F1A will get you plenty of air. Then you will need a custom front mount intercooler. Contact my brother Bob for pricing if you are curious on what these superchargers cost.

Jon
95 Pontiac Formula- Stock engine with ATI Procharger, Moser 12 bolt w/4:30 gears, Rossler trans, Neil Chance 4000 stall, M/T ET streets, 10.914@ 121.90mph, 1.452 60ft. GMHTP November 2010 Feature Car. Check it out at:
https://www.motortrend.com/features/...ebird-formula/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abZ1z...ature=youtu.be

Old 03-28-2016, 09:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you decide on a procharger my advice is get it from brute speed, they have the best pricing I've seen and go for the f1. Price between blowers new is very small but if you change your mind later you will pay alot of money to do it over again. Not to mention a d series blower will have to work alot harder than a f series to make the same power. Also if it's a street car stay away from cogs or direct drive units.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:45 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by myltwon
If you decide on a procharger my advice is get it from brute speed, they have the best pricing I've seen and go for the f1. Price between blowers new is very small but if you change your mind later you will pay alot of money to do it over again. Not to mention a d series blower will have to work alot harder than a f series to make the same power. Also if it's a street car stay away from cogs or direct drive units.
Thanks, I really appreciate it! Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 03-28-2016, 12:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Without a doubt a turbo setup would be a great option.

In the end, you need airflow and fuel... figure out boosted method you want, don't skimp on heads or pistons, and over build the fuel system.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Horsepower cost so how much can you afford, As mentioned it all becomes a domino affect, you will need bigger injectors, then bigger fuel pump, possibly fuel lines, the you need a drive train that can take all of that torque so then its a built trans, convertor or clutch, stock suspension will deflect under those conditions so now you will need subframes, shock tower struts ect, ect, I have $25+K in my build and as said, Just for machine work, pistons, cam and bearings was $5,500..
Old 03-29-2016, 10:26 PM
Launching!

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

If you can fabricate then you have one major step covered on the turbo stuff.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:49 PM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

I'd want it a bit lighter, but I dig it!

Quick Reply: LT1 Boost Build Questions