LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Tank Neck Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 02:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Tank Neck Replacement

When siphoning the old bad gas out of my tank, I slightly messed up the little spring loaded door that automatically closes when you pull a gas pump out after filling up. It doesn't quite seal up all the way, and I don't see a way to fix it. It worries me as it seems fuel could exit it at hard corning.

I see the neck itself is a cheap part, but this thing looks like it's welded in. I can't seem to find instructions on good. Anyone know how hard this is to replace? I'm going to be changing the pumps out, but I really wanted to cut the access panel for that.

I don't know if the gas cap will do the job of this flap properly and I just shouldn't worry about this anyways. Thoughts?
Old 04-10-2016, 11:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Snorkelface
When siphoning the old bad gas out of my tank, I slightly messed up the little spring loaded door that automatically closes when you pull a gas pump out after filling up. It doesn't quite seal up all the way, and I don't see a way to fix it. It worries me as it seems fuel could exit it at hard corning.

I see the neck itself is a cheap part, but this thing looks like it's welded in. I can't seem to find instructions on good. Anyone know how hard this is to replace? I'm going to be changing the pumps out, but I really wanted to cut the access panel for that.

I don't know if the gas cap will do the job of this flap properly and I just shouldn't worry about this anyways. Thoughts?

I did the same thing to mine some 3 years ago. No issues
Old 04-11-2016, 07:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't worry, that flap really isn't that much of a seal. Based on my research, two different tanks were available for the 4th gen Camaro/Firebirds. One tank had the filler neck as an integral part of the tank, and one had a separate neck that was held in place by a rubber "collar" and hose clamps. I'm not sure, but maybe the 2pc. tanks were only aftermarket replacement tanks, as my '96 Z/28 had the one piece deal, as original equipment.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:01 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

LS1 tanks are a two piece setup so the neck is removable.

I have always given thought to getting some USCG approved fuel tank line and using it to splice back the cut fuel neck on the steel tanks. But, its another place for potential leaks,fires etc so I have not.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:26 AM
Launching!

I'm glad I'm not the only one that's done this. Okay, good. I was worried the cap wouldn't stop fuel from exiting then going down the drip hole while driving!

Man, that's weird since they sell them separately for my '97. I guess I'll see how things go!
Old 04-11-2016, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The flapper in the filler neck is left over from the 70s. The first efforts at emissions controls included unleaded gasoline and catalytic converters. Leaded gasoline was sold for older models for many years at a cheaper price and higher octane than the unleaded. To prevent "unleaded" vehicles from being filled with leaded fuel it was mandated that the manufacturers install a restricted filler on the cars and fuel nozzles were required to be reduced in size to match. The spring loaded flapper was part of the restricting filler system.
Found that on the internet, I'm sold.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:35 AM
Launching!

Ahh, good info there!

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
Found that on the internet, I'm sold.

Quick Reply: Tank Neck Replacement