LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Stock bottom end connecting rod torque to 45 lbs???

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 06:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Stock bottom end connecting rod torque to 45 lbs???

Putting together my lt1, stock bottom end (new bearings and rings however) and I've ran into a problem. My manual says to torque each connecting rod to 20 lbs on the first pass. Did that. But now it's telling me to go 50 degrees on the next pass, I have an angle gauge for my torque wrench, problem is I can't find a way to keep the stick in its place while I torque the nut down! My lt1 isn't anything special, so can I just torque each rod to 45 lbs and call it a day? If the angle is a necessity could someone give me a few tips on where to put the little stick to keep it in place?
Old 05-06-2016, 04:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone?
Old 05-06-2016, 06:39 PM
Village Troll

Received 541 Likes on 391 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

If it were me I'd call a machine shop. Everything I've seen on the googles says 45ftlbs for stock rod bolts.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:02 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chase Langs
Putting together my lt1, stock bottom end (new bearings and rings however) and I've ran into a problem. My manual says to torque each connecting rod to 20 lbs on the first pass. Did that. But now it's telling me to go 50 degrees on the next pass, I have an angle gauge for my torque wrench, problem is I can't find a way to keep the stick in its place while I torque the nut down! My lt1 isn't anything special, so can I just torque each rod to 45 lbs and call it a day? If the angle is a necessity could someone give me a few tips on where to put the little stick to keep it in place?
You could mark the the socket on and Mark the cap at 50 degrees.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:12 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i've put together a lot of smallblocks and never used torque angle for anything

imo you should use ft-lbs on your rod bolts unless they're stretch-to-torque one use bolts designed for torque angle

Quick Reply: Stock bottom end connecting rod torque to 45 lbs???