LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

IAC, idle to high.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 08:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default IAC, idle to high.

My car has a P1509 code, and it idles at 2000ish on the stock tach, which is off slightly. But the idle is still a little high just from hearing the car. The car took 70 miles to throw this code, but no other codes thankfully! Lol. Does would using shoes method of resetting the IAC work? Or should I go ahead and replace it? Any other thinks to check that might have made it act funny?
Old 05-17-2016, 11:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

the IAC solenoid itself, or the wiring to it, could be bad or it just needs to be cleaned if it is sticking. Use throttle body cleaner on it and the cavity it is in. do not push/pull the printle (pointed end of it)
Old 05-17-2016, 11:37 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ******
the IAC solenoid itself, or the wiring to it, could be bad or it just needs to be cleaned if it is sticking. Use throttle body cleaner on it and the cavity it is in. do not push/pull the printle (pointed end of it)
Would replacing it be my best bet? I have 9 more days left to get it inspected... Parts stores want 100$ for a BWD brand. When online a DELCO brand is 88$... But I don't know if I can wait around for it to get here before my temporary ten day tag runs out...
Old 05-17-2016, 02:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

You may just have a vacuum leak. Put a scanner on it and see what the IAC counts are. If needed, I would obviously try to reset it before buying a new one.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by shbox
You may just have a vacuum leak. Put a scanner on it and see what the IAC counts are. If needed, I would obviously try to reset it before buying a new one.
I did clean it. It seemed to have helped somewhat, the gauge shows 1800 but my tach is off so it's around 1100. Normal idle for a M6 I would think is slightly higher than an auto.(?) but if need be I will reset it. Cleaning it has helped so I'm sure resetting it will probably fix it.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:49 PM
TECH Veteran

as shbox advises, also check for a vacuum leak. those cause high idle.the "L" shape vac hose right under throttle body could be cracked...as well as any other vacuum line on the engine,

at 1100 RPM emission testing may not pass if that is what you meant by "inspected".
Old 05-17-2016, 05:02 PM
TECH Regular

Inspection for me is visual, and plug in only. No sniffer test, Everything visual should pass, I have 4 new tires, new wiper blades etc... All the stuff they look for. New windshield blah blah blah, just can't pass cause when the light was off the IMs were reading "not ready" then the light came on shortly after for the IAC to high, so I cleared the code and drove another 70 miles and boom! It came on again, got it scanned, same code. IAC to high. So I'm glad it's just that one code but I cleaned, and reset the IAC and still nothing. I've checked for vacuum leaks and haven't found any so far. The "l" shaped thing is on the left side of the TB, under the one heater hose looking thing going to the valve cover??
Old 05-18-2016, 10:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by VoyagerCamaro
The "l" shaped thing is on the left side of the TB, under the one heater hose looking thing going to the valve cover??
No, the "L" shape vac hose routes to DS manifold (PCV IIRC). It is centered on front of intake manifold under TB. It or any of the vac hoses and plastic or rubber elbows can crack and leak, especially if they are still original.

Every time you clear codes you need to have several drive cycles for the IM monitors to reset. PIA. I had my tuner make mine always read "ready" to get around that issue
Old 05-18-2016, 12:46 PM
TECH Regular

No, the "L" shape vac hose routes to DS manifold (PCV IIRC). It is centered on front of intake manifold under TB. It or any of the vac hoses and plastic or rubber elbows can crack and leak, especially if they are still original.

Every time you clear codes you need to have several drive cycles for the IM monitors to reset. PIA. I had my tuner make mine always read "ready" to get around that issue
Oh, yeah. I checked that as well, it's fine. So far no vacuum leaks... I've checked high and low and so far nothing! Last night me and my dad took off the IAC again, and my dad was messing with it and it made a loud "click" noise, and now the car will not stay running without me giving it gas, oh well.. I cleaned it and reset it and nothing changed. So the new one arrives tomorrow.... We will see if my idle problem lies there. Or if it is a very pesky, hard to find vacuum leak!
Old 05-18-2016, 05:08 PM
TECH Veteran

....by making a "click" sound when your Dad was messing with it....did he push or pull on the end of it?

If so he killed it. Do NOT push or pull on it, just spray it off with cleaner...but your new one will be clean so just install it. Do th e"reset" procedure for IAC when motor warms up. Hopefully your high idle is just a faulty IAC.

By chance did you mess with the throttle body stop screw. The right answer is no. If yes meaning someone turned it to raise the idle for some reason that would need to be set back to stock position. There is a reason why a TB gasket actually covers the access port to that stop screw :-)

Last edited by BALLSS; 05-18-2016 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:26 PM
TECH Regular

....by making a "click" sound when your Dad was messing with it....did he push or pull on the end of it?

If so he killed it. Do NOT push or pull on it, just spray it off with cleaner...but your new one will be clean so just install it. Do th e"reset" procedure for IAC when motor warms up. Hopefully your high idle is just a faulty IAC.

By chance did you mess with the throttle body stop screw. The right answer is no. If yes meaning someone turned it to raise the idle for some reason that would need to be set back to stock position. There is a reason why a TB gasket actually covers the access port to that stop screw :-)
Yeah we kinda knew it was trashed so he pushed it in.. Lol. And No I have not messed with it, the PO might have. He did Bunch of weird stuff but the new one will be here soon! I really hope that's it... I still haven't found a vacuum leak. Could a faulty 02 cause a high idle? Even though I haven't gotten an 02 code, just wandering.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:12 PM
TECH Regular

So the IAC got here today, I cleaned the TB and the cavity that the IAC goes into, to look like it was polished chrome. I spent a good 30 minutes on it, put the new one in. The idle bounced around a little and FINALLY adjusted and now it idles around 900ish... Good for a M6 car? I think yes! Way better than what it was.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:01 PM
TECH Veteran

do you have a aftermarket, larger, Throttle Body?

do you have a aftermarket PCM tune?

A heads/cam tune generally is around 850 rpm but stock motor/tune IIRC is around 650-700 RPM ish
Old 05-20-2016, 03:39 PM
TECH Regular

do you have a aftermarket, larger, Throttle Body?

do you have a aftermarket PCM tune?

A heads/cam tune generally is around 850 rpm but stock motor/tune IIRC is around 650-700 RPM ish
No aftermarket TB. And motor is stock internals, but does have some bolt ons. I got a tune by Solomon letting him know every little detail there was about my car. And by 900rpm I mean around 650. The tach is off a good amount. when I hit my 2 step or MSD box modules it's always way off on the tach than what the modules are rated for. It's idling and running sooo money right now.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Stock idle for manual is 800. Auto is 650 in p/n, 550 in gear.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by shbox
Stock idle for manual is 800. Auto is 650 in p/n, 550 in gear.
Interesting. My car sounds to be idling perfect, but like I said the tach is way off so there's no real way to tell exactly the idle unless I data log. But I no longer have a lap top so.. Oh well lol. It runs good though, thanks for the help Shoe!

Quick Reply: IAC, idle to high.