LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cant get lower head bolts, exhaust manifold in the way

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 10:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant get lower head bolts, exhaust manifold in the way

Hey guys, kinda stuck here and not sure the best way to tackle this. So ive got the top head bolts loose but the bottom ones I cant get to because of the exhaust manifold. Exhaust manifold is off the heads but its still stuck on the y pipe. I also have rounded off 2 bolts on the passenger side that connects the y pipe and the manifold.

So my main question is where do I go from here? I dont think theres enough room to wiggle it around and get the head bolts with the manifold still in, and the bolts are extremely stuck on and Ive already rounded 2 off. So what not? dremel? drill? Im about ready to just pass this off to someone cause I think ive been way over my head and Ive been stuck here for a week now
Old 07-17-2016, 10:27 AM
11 Second Club

Ive tried thiswith a set of long tubes and ended up having to take them the rest of the way out/off. If all else fails cut the Y with a sawzall and deal with the rounded bolts on the work bench. If it has 2 cats this may not work.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:44 AM
Staging Lane

http://shbox.com/1/exhaust_system_dual_cat.jpg

looks just like that so I guess I have 2 cats? Sawzall doesnt sound too bad because I plan on putting the stock manifolds back on since I need to smog. So I can just cut it and then clamp it back on later? Seems like the easiest option.

Quick Reply: Cant get lower head bolts, exhaust manifold in the way