LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Going to be droping my rearend for the first time any tips

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Going to be droping my rearend for the first time any tips

So this is how it came to be I was just going to change wheel bearings being as they were making some noise and was going to call it good and wait for the rear end to blow up then get a 9inch but it had other plans I get the old bearing out and whent to put the new one in gave it a few wacks and the thing falls apart I try to pull it out but it won't come back out I have the proper tools and got the old one out just fine but this new broken pos is stuck in there so I've decide if it wants to be difficult I'll just pull it out and get me a 9inch now so being as this is my first time doing this any tips or tricks to this and I don't have a lift so I'll be doing this on the ground with Jack stands thanks

Last edited by ss27gogeta; 09-05-2016 at 09:22 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Start with the suspension loaded. I used 2 wheel chocks for the front, 2 jack stands for the rear of the body and two jack stands for the rear end. If I remember right I did the panhard bar first, torque arm second, sway bar third, rear shocks fourth, disconnected brake lines fifth, lowered rear off stands then remove control arms last.

Installing the 9" is a ***** and you will absolutely need a second person, possibly a third to tag in when one of you are tired of cursing it out. I was able to do my 12 bolt by myself.

EDIT: I should probably clarify that the 9" has a wavetrac and the 12 bolt has a spool. The weight difference wasn't as big of a deal as the size of the damned thing.

Last edited by stevo9389; 09-06-2016 at 03:47 AM.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that much different between a 12 and a 9 bolt, I would have never thought that.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dose not sound like there's to much to it dose anybody know what the weight of a 9inch approximately is I'll be going with a spool to and any thing special I need to do to the drive shaft or do I just unbolt it and let it hang there
Old 09-06-2016, 12:25 PM
Village Troll

Received 541 Likes on 391 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by stevo9389
... remove control arms last.
Exactly. Remove everything off the diff., then lower with control arms still connected and disconnect them from the diff. last. Then do exact opposite when re-installing. This way it keeps the diff. from rocking and falling off the jack when lowering and raising.

Quick Reply: Going to be droping my rearend for the first time any tips