LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

CC503 Cam No Tune (Fuel Trim)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 07:21 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CC503 Cam No Tune (Fuel Trim)

For everyone out there who said they ran their LT1's after your CC503 and no tune for a couple of months. How did you do it without freaking out? I have been keeping an eye on my Fuel Trim numbers and have officially parked my car until I get my mail order base tune. She was sucking so much air and running so lean the PCM was commanding massive amounts of fuel trying to correct the situation. It was running so lean the HC was burning my eyes..lol She'll be hitting the dyno the first week of OCT

Ty McBride
Team Leader/Owner
McBride Motorsports

I know its hard to see, but this is after about 5 min of idle about a week after install. I didn't have access to the Varus I usually use. But the cheapo 200$ Scan Tool is still sufficient to get some numbers
Name:  IMAG0741.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  122.0 KB

And here she is after the first completed drive cycle.
Name:  Screenshot_20160817-055757.png
Views: 458
Size:  383.7 KB

1997 Comp TA
Mods

-Pace Setter Long Tube Ceramic Coated Race Headers and Off Road Y-Pipe
-SLP 2OTL Resonator dumped before axle
-EGR and AIR Pump Delete
-Walbro 255lph in tank fuel pump
-Denny's Nitrous Ready Driveshaft
-Moser 12 bolt rear end with larger 33 spline axles
-Eaton Detroit Truetrac
-MOSER Upgraded performance cover with main cap studs
-4.10 gears, and a 1350 yoke
-58mm TB -P&P Intake Mani
-CC503 Cam
-CC Beehive Springs
-Lightly worked heads
-MSD Opti
-MSD Coil
-Taylor Wires

Suspension Mods
-BMR Springs
-BMR Panhard Rod, Chrome Moly, Adj
-BMR Rear Control Arms
-BMR Torque Arm Relocation Cross-member, T56
Old 09-11-2016, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Are you still on the stock injectors with the stock tune?

I'm wondering if you have another problem as it should not be running so bad as to burn your eyes. I've run my CC503 on the stock tune(with adjustments for the 30# injectors) and I don't recall it ever burning my eyes.
Old 09-11-2016, 01:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ACE1252
Are you still on the stock injectors with the stock tune?

I'm wondering if you have another problem as it should not be running so bad as to burn your eyes. I've run my CC503 on the stock tune(with adjustments for the 30# injectors) and I don't recall it ever burning my eyes.

I was kind of being sarcastic about it burning my eyes..lol.. But there is a definite noticeable amount of HC. If you'll notice in the mods list I posted I have no emission control devices. And my exhaust is a pre axle dump. As far as my fuels system goes everything is stock except the fuel pump. After the base tune I want to see what my fuel trims are at and go from there. Before the CAM install my fuel trim number were near perfect seeing as the car only has 55k total miles on it. Im interested to see how she does on the dyno

Ty McBride
Team Leader/Owner
McBride Motorsports
Old 09-11-2016, 03:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

With bad fuel injector data, my long term trims were 13% on left and 25% on the right at idle.

Changing only the injector data with my calculated injector data from the Ford injector calibration sheet for my particular injectors, I'm now -10% on left and 10% on the right at idle. During ~65mph crusing, they are around -3% and -6%.

I still have yet to drag my backside to a dyno, but here is my venture into the world of LT1 tuning thus far....maybe more info than you are looking for....

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/comp...ts-lt1-770192/

I got into a situation where my software was wrong on my bank 2 LTFT. Autotap windows edition was not reporting the correct value.

I doubt you will see perfect numbers at idle(however, I might be wrong). I'm guessing it's the overlap of the cam causing some issues with the O2's at idle.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ACE1252
With bad fuel injector data, my long term trims were 13% on left and 25% on the right at idle.

Changing only the injector data with my calculated injector data from the Ford injector calibration sheet for my particular injectors, I'm now -10% on left and 10% on the right at idle. During ~65mph crusing, they are around -3% and -6%.

I still have yet to drag my backside to a dyno, but here is my venture into the world of LT1 tuning thus far....maybe more info than you are looking for....

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/comp...ts-lt1-770192/

I got into a situation where my software was wrong on my bank 2 LTFT. Autotap windows edition was not reporting the correct value.

I doubt you will see perfect numbers at idle(however, I might be wrong). I'm guessing it's the overlap of the cam causing some issues with the O2's at idle.

Nice, Thanks for the Link and info. Ill take a look at the info you provided. Yeah, I was supposed to Put it on the Dyno yesterday but some other things came up and I havent had the opportunity to get the base tune. Even though Im running so lean the car still feels strong as hell. I can tell theres an improvement but I can tell theres more power to be unleashed with a good tune. I was surprised theres not more cam surge when crawling through parking lots. The next step within the next 19 months is a 24x Ign system.

Ty McBride
Team Leader/Owner
McBride Motorsports

Quick Reply: CC503 Cam No Tune (Fuel Trim)