LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Shortblock Delima

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 04:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shortblock Delima

Hi all,
New to the forum and hoping to get some insight and advice. I am in the market to build a new LT1 for my 95 Camaro and I seem to be running into a road block. So I'm looking to build a 383 or a 396 stroker but I seem to be having a difficult time finding a rebuildable block. Everything I come across has spun main bearings and ate into the block. I've looked at 4 already and are no different than what I currently have. So I took my current block to a local machine shop and was told there was nothing I could do, that too much material was eaten from the block. So I started thinking, Ill just purchase a short block and build it from there. I looked around and It seems like only 3 places currently build 383 and 396 short blocks. Victory Racing Engines, Golen, and Ellwein. So I'm looking for some info on these companys. I cant seem to find much on victory and from what I have read Golen seems to be a hit or miss. I read nothing but good reviews from Ellwein but he is alittle outside my budget. I am looking to stay with the LT1 and not swap to LS platform. So if there is anybody out there with experience with Golen and Victory I would love to here some feedback.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Look at the "B" body engines, They have iron heads and some other differences but the blocks are all the same. Impala SS, Buick Roadmaster , Police Caprices, Cadillac Brougham. Just make sure the block has 327 cast in on the sides. BTW the later model iron heads flow better than the Aluminum heads.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There is a beutiful 396 fresh lt1 short block in the classifieds right now. 1st page. Just a thought.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Ellwein - you get what you pay for. There are very few, if any, builders that'll out-build Karl. The Golen engines had some issues a while ago, but they're pretty solid now. I remember reading somewhere a while back where Karl Ellwein himself said Golen was pretty good.

VRE - are they still in business?
Old 09-22-2016, 10:41 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the suggestions. If there is anyone else out there with experiance with these builders please let me know how things went and held up. I also found out ATK also builds a 383 lt1 shortblock does anyone have any experiance with them?
Old 09-22-2016, 10:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

ERE is highly regarded.

FWIW I bought a forged 4 bolt main 383 short block from Golen and have around 25k mi on the motor.

Either will be good IMHO. Karl at ERE is a one man one motor at a time shop. His attention to detail is well documented in the engine build threads on his site. Chad at Golen, for me, has been very helpful in discussing options & parts and has responded to any ? I asked.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:52 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

If you are anywhere in the MD/VA/DC/DE/PA area then give Burtonsville Performance a call. They've been involved with LT1 stuff for a good 20 years now. They may be able to still locate a good block.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Golen had a problem with the Eagle cranks they used to run fail and break down the middle. I learned this first hand.....Ten years after Golen originally built the block it broke in half. Back then Chad was offering lifetime warranties. He still warrantied my failure ten years later. Just had to pay cost on parts. My new 383 with 5k miles uses a quarter of a quart in 2k miles. I found out after getting this new solid roller cam in it looks like mostly due to oil from the fresh air vent on the passenger side valve cover going in thru the throttle body. Order a Mighty Mouse catch can to solve that this weekend.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 95supersport
If there is anyone else out there with experiance with these builders please let me know how things went and held up.
Ellwein 383 link is in my sig. Been running it for a bit now - great engine. Karl has been awesome to deal with.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

I have a 383 from Golen and haven't had any issues so far, a little over 6k on the motor now. as said above, his issues were with the eagle cast cranks which he does not use anymore, I have a scat crank in mine. chad is a good guy and gave me a full shop tour (I work 5 minutes from his shop) when I was thinking about getting a long block from him and has answered all of my question during and after the build. also, have heard a lot of good things about Ellwein, just don't have any personal experience.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:34 AM
Teching In

Well i was actually thinking of going with golen but all the old reveiws kinda scared me away. Im glad to hear he got those issues squared away
Old 09-22-2016, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

I was the same way, but after talking with him about it I was completely comfortable with giving him my business. also the fact that his shop was so close to me helped as well.

Quick Reply: Shortblock Delima