LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Quality Optisparks in 2016?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 04:34 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quality Optisparks in 2016?

Just suffered a confirmed Optispark failure, so I'm in the market for a new one. In years past AC Delco/Delphi OEM units were considered the best option, and what I would always use. However, I'm noticing that new units are no longer available for the early spline-drive setups. With that said, what are people doing for Opti replacements these days? My research shows the following:

Delco Remanufactured: Not much info, but apparently reusing the OEM Mitsubishi sensors. Quality unknown.

Parts Store Stuff: 50-50 mix of people saying they last and having them fail quickly.

Dynaspark: Current ones lacking the Mitsubishi sensor and general dropoff in quality.

MSD: Mixed results, but not much feedback from people who purchased more recently.

Petris: Formerly OEM units with venting added, but now apparently aftermarket units (I suspect the generic Chinese ones.) Mixed reviews.

Summit/Jegs/Accel: Garbage.

AIP/Chandler/SacCityCorvette/Misc. Ebay Chinese Units: Mixed reviews, but likely all the same overseas supplier with different brand names.

Being an unmolested 25th Anniversary car, I'd like to keep this car relatively stock, so LTCC, 24x, Torquehead aren't options I'm looking at currently. I had an LTCC that I pulled off a car I parted out, but unfortunately sold it before I got this car. At this point, I'm leaning towards a reman Delco unit or an MSD. Interested in hearing feedback from anyone who installed and run one of these within the last year or two.

Bottom line: In October 2016, what replacement Optisparks are proving to be the most reliable? I'll spend the money if the quality is there.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

i got mine from rockauto about a year and a half ago. new AC Delco. just looked its only showing a remaned one. mine is working perfectly. i wouldnt stray away from remaned if its a good brand like AC Delco. what matters is the sensor. Hawksthirdgen has AC delco one. it doesnt say new or remaned but it is 700!!!!
Old 10-05-2016, 09:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Ran the msd spline one maybe 3-4 years ago, worked flawlessly.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I got mine earlier this year from Summit. AC Delco reman one, 450 i think it was. Solid so far. Have put about 8k miles since then, no issues whatsoever. Currently doing clutch and exhaust work.

But after, i had a massive increase in mpg, sounded much cleaner, and has not given me any issue after i got it installed correctly.

Get the AC Delco and be done with it.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I've been running an MSD for about 5 years now. Only issue is the rotor screws backed out once. Loctited the rotor screws, all is well. The real advantage I see with the MSD is if it ever goes out, you can send it back to MSD and they only charge about $150 to rebuild it last I checked.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cajun ELESS-ONE
what matters is the sensor.
That right there. What you want is a Mitsubishi sensor, if you can even find them anymore. I've got one in a spare OEM base with an MSD cap/rotor going on 4 years now.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Spartan7
That right there. What you want is a Mitsubishi sensor, if you can even find them anymore. I've got one in a spare OEM base with an MSD cap/rotor going on 4 years now.
Trouble is, you can't get the sensors separately, and their presence in remanned Optis is a crapshoot, along with the fact that it's still a used item of unknown history. The Delco reman probably has a reused Mitsubishi sensor, at least that's what I have read. The MSD is not a Mitsubishi sensor, but I would assume it's better than the offshore parts .store units with the junk sensors.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ElkySS
I've been running an MSD for about 5 years now. Only issue is the rotor screws backed out once. Loctited the rotor screws, all is well. The real advantage I see with the MSD is if it ever goes out, you can send it back to MSD and they only charge about $150 to rebuild it last I checked.
Good to hear a positive review of the MSD. I like that it is all brand new components and has a reasonable rebuild cost. The vent is a plus as well, since I'm working with a 94.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:03 PM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

3 years ago I bought a new Duralast opti from Advance Auto and added the MSD vent kit. It has worked flawlessly. Put a new water pump on it at the same time and plumbed a hose to the weep hole to prevent future coolant leaks into the opti.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Also, I went one step further and used a vacuum tester to check for leaks. I found it would leak around where the wiring harness enters the base. I put a glob of silicon around that and the o-ring for the cap. I've washed the motor numerous times and it's never hiccupped.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by L92 OLDS
3 years ago I bought a new Duralast opti from Advance Auto and added the MSD vent kit. It has worked flawlessly. Put a new water pump on it at the same time and plumbed a hose to the weep hole to prevent future coolant leaks into the opti.
Nice to hear a positive experience with a parts store piece. The water pump on my other LT1 is an Autozone piece and has been flawless for 4 years. I just get nervous when it comes to Optis. I was lucky to have it die in my driveway, although the car bucked once under light load the week prior while headed to a car show.

Seems like any opti MAY work out well, but all are a gamble. In other words, not much has changed lol.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ElkySS
Also, I went one step further and used a vacuum tester to check for leaks. I found it would leak around where the wiring harness enters the base. I put a glob of silicon around that and the o-ring for the cap. I've washed the motor numerous times and it's never hiccupped.
Thanks for the tip. I will definitely be "detailing" whatever unit I get (checking for and correcting flaws like this.)
Old 10-06-2016, 11:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by L92 OLDS
Old 10-08-2016, 03:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Yeah, that is an Auto Zone brand isn't it.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NewOrleansLT1
I just fixed mine today, I drilled the weep hole out to 5/16 about halfway through and tapped it to 3/8-16 then took a 3/8th grade 8 bolt and chucked it in the lathe and bored a 7/32 hole in the center. that way I can slip a 3/8 id hose over it and run it out to another location. I think that should stop it from pissing on the Opti if the seal -bearing fails

Quick Reply: Quality Optisparks in 2016?