LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1994 Camaro Z28 Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed someone had replace the factory pipe that runs on the back of the heads with a rubber hose. I wonder what the reason for that was.

Old 11-19-2016, 06:34 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast350Z
I noticed someone had replace the factory pipe that runs on the back of the heads with a rubber hose. I wonder what the reason for that was.

Probably had a seized banjo bolt, or the steam pipe got broke and they were just to lazy or cheap to replace it with a OEM Unit. I have seen people tap and use AN line before. I think that route looks clean and professional.
Old 11-25-2016, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

I ordered new motor mounts so I am waiting for those to arrive so I can install the engine. One motor mount looked fine but the other one had small cracks so I figured might as well replace both now while the engine is out. Here is a picture with the valve covers off on the engine I am installing. Looked real clean under the valve covers.

Old 11-25-2016, 06:10 PM
Launching!

I ordered new motor mounts so I am waiting for those to arrive so I can install the engine. One motor mount looked fine but the other one had small cracks so I figured might as well replace both now while the engine is out. Here is a picture with the valve covers off on the engine I am installing. Looked real clean under the valve covers.

I might have missed something, but why is there a way spark system in the pic
Old 11-25-2016, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ruken
I might have missed something, but why is there a way spark system in the pic
The engine has Delteq ignition system on it. It basically bypasses the optispark so there is no spark plug wires running to the optispark.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:15 AM
Launching!

The engine has Delteq ignition system on it. It basically bypasses the optispark so there is no spark plug wires running to the optispark.
Yup, thought I had missed something. LoL...Sorry, Im so busy am only able ot get on the forum for a little bit at a time. And a lot of the time, I cant go back and review due to lack of time.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

That steam vent line needs to be addressed, The stock Banjo bolts are orficed and regulate the flow allowing steam to vent and the water to remain in the head to cool better. GM designed it that way for a reason.. FWIW
Old 11-29-2016, 11:00 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cookseyb
That steam vent line needs to be addressed, The stock Banjo bolts are orficed and regulate the flow allowing steam to vent and the water to remain in the head to cool better. GM designed it that way for a reason.. FWIW
I'm pretty sure he'll get to it. I understand that GM did design it that way. And the current set up looks like a hack job. But I have seen people use AN Fittings and Braided lines without any issues what so ever. There's a reason they designed the OPTI the way they did and for most people it functions just fine. I'm still running an OPTI on the McBride Motorsports Comp TA but I am still going to be upgrading to a 24X system in the future.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

That steam vent line is on the bad engine I pulled out. I pulled the other valve cover on the bad engine and noticed all the roller rockers were super tight. I assume they were all adjusted wrong.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

What does this part do. I am removing the air pump and egr parts off the engine. I am not sure if I should remove this piece also.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:28 PM
Launching!

What does this part do. I am removing the air pump and egr parts off the engine. I am not sure if I should remove this piece also.

Thats part of your EVAP system, if you remove it you'll need to put a one way check valve in line someplace. I would also recommend having it tuned out so you dont throw a code
Old 12-05-2016, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

I got back to work on it after waiting for motor mount I ordered. Took 9 days for it to arrive. Got the engine in the car and bolted up. Still have alot of things to hook up on the car. I installed a edge racing 3600 stall converter while the transmission was out.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Working on getting everything back on and bolted up today. Fuel lines were a tight fit going over the coils to the engine. All the factory fuel lines were replaced sometime before with braided fuel lines under the car. Couldn't get the steering arm up as far as it should go on the steering shaft. Seemed like there was too much of a gap there.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

I just discovered the wire harness on the 95 Z28 engine will not work on a 94 Z28. There is two connectors on the 95 Z28 engine harness next to the pcm and only one connector to plug into on the wire harness on the body. So there is a connector missing. I was told the engine wire harness was the same for 94-95 and the only difference was the optispark wire harness. I wish I had known this while the engine was out and could have easily swapped the wire harness on the engine then.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

Got back to working on it. That was alot of work taking the engine wire harness off when the engine was in the car. Hardest part was getting the fuel injectors off the rear of the engine. I also had to take the transmission cross member off to lower the transmission so I could get to the wire harness plugs.

It was a really tight fit getting the electric fans on with the electric water pump. They were already notched for clearance but I had to cut them a little more. I replaced the radiator with another one I had cause it was kind of banged up. I also blew it out with a air compressor to get all the debris that had accumulated on it.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruken
Thats part of your EVAP system, if you remove it you'll need to put a one way check valve in line someplace. I would also recommend having it tuned out so you dont throw a code
Can you elaborate on this? I think I just capped everything off, but it's been 8 years, where do you need a check valve?
Old 12-31-2016, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

I just capped everything off the way it was on the bad engine I pulled out. It didn't have a check valve anywhere so I guess its fine without that. I also did the throttle body bypass at the same time.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't need to remove the EVAP system. It doesn't effect performance at all, well other than weight. It's only down fall is that it's more parts to maintain. But it does (very marginally) increase fuel economy.

Looking good on your build.

If you do remove it though, you need to be aware that the charcoal canister will get full because it's catching all of the fuel vapors from the gas tank. So that would have to be addressed. I left mine on.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

The EVAP line that comes to the engine compartment was already removed so I am just going to leave it off. There is only the two fuel lines and they were rerouted to the brake booster area. I will have to take a look at the charcoal canister sometime.

This is what the ground terminal on the front of the head looked like. I had to replace it with a new piece.

Old 01-01-2017, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

I got everything hooked up and got it running. It idles at about 1000 rpm. It sounds real good. It has a true dual exhaust with flowmaster 10 series mufflers and its super loud when you rev it at higher rpms. It feels like a race car compared to my 95 Z28 with stock engine. The car is really fast. It spins the tires easily with not much throttle.

Quick Reply: 1994 Camaro Z28 Project