LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

IAC problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default IAC problems

I can't seem to figure out the problem on the IAC. Upon start up it's maxing out at 160 and doesn't want to take any throttle. And will creep down to around 130 -120.
Some of the things I've done :
1. Played with the Idle adj. screw. ( still high)
2.Sprayed starting fluid around the intake no spike in the idle.
3. Took the TB apart cleaned it put all new gasket's on it (still no change)
4. Checked the resistance on the IAC I was getting 50 ohms (in range)
5. Reset the IAC position (no change)

The only thing that has changed is when I had the motor rebuilt it had to be bored .30 .I have talked to Solomon he seems to think it need's to be updated but need to figure out the IAC problem first.
I am out of ideal's with what to do.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Can you give some further details. What is the idle rpm when cold and then when warmed up? When you tried adjusting the idle screw how far down were you able to get the IAC down. Did you then try to readjust the TPS back to about 0.56V ?
Old 01-29-2017, 02:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

is this a stock TB?

if you adjusted the TB stop screw (really never should touch it) adjust it back so the TPS then reads .67vdc (+/-)

EDIT: CAPS
heads/cam cars WITH AFTERMARKET TB often need A idle hole LIKE THE stock TB drilled out 1/64" LARGER THAN THE 1/8" STOCK SIZE HOLE...but generally because the car won't idle (stalls) while IAC counts are pegged at 160

Is your car stalling because of low idle or does it have a high idle RPM?

Last edited by BALLSS; 01-30-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FrankieD
Can you give some further details. What is the idle rpm when cold and then when warmed up? When you tried adjusting the idle screw how far down were you able to get the IAC down. Did you then try to readjust the TPS back to about 0.56V ?
When it's first fired up it idles around 1100 then it will jump around 650-850 rpm's when warmed up. When adjusting it I got the counts down to around 130. But I didn't check the volts on the TPS.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ******
is this a stock TB?

if you adjusted the TB stop screw (really never should touch it) adjust it back so the TPS then reads .67vdc (+/-)

heads/cam cars often need the stock idle hole of a stock TB drilled out 1/64" more...but generally because the car won't idle (stalls) while IAC counts are pegged at 160

Is your car stalling because of low idle or does it have a high idle RPM?
Yes it's a stock TB. I will do the drill mod I have read about it but have never gotten around to it. And the car stalls out from low idle you can hit the throttle about 1/4 of the way and it will rev up for a few seconds and then just die.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

So the motor is stock less a 30 over bore?? if so then its something else, You should never have to drill the T/B even with larger cams, I never have, so you had a tune done to it?
Old 01-30-2017, 08:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
So the motor is stock less a 30 over bore?? if so then its something else, You should never have to drill the T/B even with larger cams, I never have, so you had a tune done to it?
Didn't have to drill my stock TB with a cammed 383, either. What year/make/model LT1? Is this the 92 in your sig?
Old 01-30-2017, 09:57 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

You should not have to do drill a hole into a stock TB. It should already be there. And don't try to enlarge it. That can lead to further idle quality issues. That only applies to those TB's that do not have it already there, and even if it isn't there, it would not cause your idle to go high, but rather low/stumble. If your throttle position sensor voltage is out of whack that can make the engine idle high.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
All it has is the cc503 and 30lb injectors and yes it has been tuned for the setup.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 92camaroguy
Yes it's a stock TB. I will do the drill mod I have read about it but have never gotten around to it. And the car stalls out from low idle you can hit the throttle about 1/4 of the way and it will rev up for a few seconds and then just die.
"stock" TB...than don't drill it. I edited my previous comments. Must have been pre coffee as I meant to refer to aftermarket, larger, TB's

so you cleaned your stock TB. I assume you also cleaned the IAC & orifice. It is possible that the IAC itself is bad...If you pushed in the tip of the IAC by hand, it is dead now

If I understand your problem...the car will not idle (due to low rpm) and IAC counts are high (130 if you crack open blades some with stop screw) or pegged at 160, right?
Old 01-30-2017, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ******
"stock" TB...than don't drill it. I edited my previous comments. Must have been pre coffee as I meant to refer to aftermarket, larger, TB's

so you cleaned your stock TB. I assume you also cleaned the IAC & orifice. It is possible that the IAC itself is bad...If you pushed in the tip of the IAC by hand, it is dead now

If I understand your problem...the car will not idle (due to low rpm) and IAC counts are high (130 if you crack open blades some with stop screw) or pegged at 160, right?
I did clean the TB and put in a new IAC valve I checked the IAC valve per shbox's site. It was in range (50 ohms) so I guess it's good.
And when it warms up the counts will go down to around 130.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 92camaroguy
I did clean the TB and put in a new IAC valve I checked the IAC valve per shbox's site. It was in range (50 ohms) so I guess it's good.
And when it warms up the counts will go down to around 130.
crack the blade open some and do a tps reset... iac counts will come down some
Old 02-02-2017, 10:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You have to reset the TPS by slotting its mounting holes to put it back in spec after doing any sort of blade adjustment.

Quick Reply: IAC problems