LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How to read IAC Counts

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 01:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin97ss
Agreed, this is an ignition issue.

What you are experiencing during cranking is a cylinder starting the burn process in the earliest stage of the compression stroke. The result is massive resistance to the starter motor as the crank is being forced backwards.

I would start by double checking ignition cable routing at the cap. http://shbox.com/1/opti.jpg
So I know this is extremely late, but I finally finished up the car and got everything all buttoned up. I think what Kevin97ss said above is what was causing my issue, but it was not electrical related, it was timing. I went back and reset the valves correctly and the resistance was gone, the motor cranked perfectly, and fired up and ran smoothly.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:37 AM

Default What exactly did you do? Having a similar issue myself

Originally Posted by derekstl
So I know this is extremely late, but I finally finished up the car and got everything all buttoned up. I think what Kevin97ss said above is what was causing my issue, but it was not electrical related, it was timing. I went back and reset the valves correctly and the resistance was gone, the motor cranked perfectly, and fired up and ran smoothly.
Im having a very similar issue. Have the same cam, did a mail tune with Solomon and he suggested reset the IAC counts, but I don’t have the tool to do it. It idles in park fairly ok, I can shift to drive and reverse fine, but as soon as I go to brake it does.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Spree

Im having a very similar issue. Have the same cam, did a mail tune with Solomon and he suggested reset the IAC counts, but I don’t have the tool to do it. It idles in park fairly ok, I can shift to drive and reverse fine, but as soon as I go to brake it does.
You don't need a tool.
Procedure: http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#iac_reset
Old 02-23-2019, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by derekstl
Yes. He said that since I have a bigger cam in it that it needs more air at idle. The way to do that would be to either adjust the TB stop or to do the drill mod and enlarge the hole thats already in my TB
I have about the same size cam as yours and I have no problems with idle. Mine is a 223/231 with a 110 LSA

Quick Reply: How to read IAC Counts