LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt1 strange noise belt?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 10:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt1 strange noise belt?

Hello,
I was wondering if there was a common pulley or problem to look for before i start taking it apart.

The car is a 97 has about 95k miles on it, it sat all winter under a car cover and after i started it i did not think too much about it, thought that when it warmed up it would go away but it never did,
It has oil and oil pressure and at first thought it sounded like a belt but now am wondering, i will take the belt off when i get home tonight but am wondering if there is anything common that goes wrong?
The belt is not even a year old/.

Any ideas thanks
Dave
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWo6...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-14-2017, 10:32 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

I don't like those intermittent screeches not one bit. Take the belt off and see. If it doesn't disappear then worst case scenario cam lobes and roller lifters are bad. Check your oil for glitter.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before you pull the belt off run the engine and carefully look at the various pulleys to see if any of them wobble. This can cause a 'funny' sound while the engine is running.
If it all looks perfect, check the p/s fluid, it may be low, causing a 'funny' sound. my .02

stan
Old 04-16-2017, 06:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I had a Gates belt start squealing after 3 months, so there's that. Pull the belt and give it a run. That's the easiest pointer in the right direction

Quick Reply: lt1 strange noise belt?