LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Runs Better without the MAF?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Runs Better without the MAF?

I should clarify. The car runs leaner without the MAF.

This car has always run extremely rich on start up (10.4 on a cold day) and then settles down once it hits closed loop.

I've been doing a variety of things to the car. I was bleeding the rad today when it occurred to me that I've started the car and let it run four or five times with the MAF and IAT disconnected with no strong smell in the garage. The the AFR gets to 14.7 after , like , 40 seconds instead of a couple of minutes.

So, what's up?

It's been clear from day one that the tune had been monkeyed with (no codes even though the Evap purge line was broken in half) so I figured that the previous owner had had some sort of cold start issue that he'd covered up with extra fuel.

The car isn't quite ready to hit the street yet (but sooooo close) so I haven't tried driving it without the MAF yet. But I'd always figured that since my base tables were out of whack trying to drive it in speed density would require a lot of tuning time to get it to run well.

So, is the PCM using a different set of tables with the MAF unplugged as compared to open loop?

Thanks,
Jon

Quick Reply: Runs Better without the MAF?