LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Overheating at idle after warmup

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 09:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating at idle after warmup

Back again and was just going to get some suggestions on the overheating at idle issue i'm having as well. I've installed a new 180 degree thermostat and add coolant and watch it regularly. it seems to drop after i run it for awhile but have no issues of water in oil or oil in coolant. Also when i'm out driving and the car gets warm or I stop for about 3-5 mins and let it idle, that's when it over heats or wants to start rising in temperature. When i go back out and drive, it drops back down to 180 or below?? Wondering if maybe it's the water pump? It gets up to about 230-240 at times (rarely) and i don't hear the fans kick on either. Seems like it gets warm pretty quick too. Like i said, check coolant regularly as well.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:23 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like a fan issue, it's cooling down because it's getting air. At stop it's not. Try pulling the air pump fuse, that will trigger an SES but will also turn the fans on. Also try re-bleeding the cooling system.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:31 PM
Teching In

is the air deflector still im place? its the flat plastic piece under the radiator. also bleed the air out, again and again and again. best way is to get the front of the car up when bleeding air out, steep driveway works great. helps to get that air to let loose from the back of the engine.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

unplug the sensor on front of the water pump. fans should come on. if they don't, you have a issue either in the fan circuits of fan motor
Old 04-23-2017, 12:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 95lt1fb
Back again and was just going to get some suggestions on the overheating at idle issue i'm having as well. I've installed a new 180 degree thermostat and add coolant and watch it regularly. it seems to drop after i run it for awhile but have no issues of water in oil or oil in coolant. Also when i'm out driving and the car gets warm or I stop for about 3-5 mins and let it idle, that's when it over heats or wants to start rising in temperature. When i go back out and drive, it drops back down to 180 or below?? Wondering if maybe it's the water pump? It gets up to about 230-240 at times (rarely) and i don't hear the fans kick on either. Seems like it gets warm pretty quick too. Like i said, check coolant regularly as well.
Does the heater work? Will the temp drop just by revving it a little? If no to the heater and yes to revving, bleed the cooling system.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:30 PM
Teching In

Figured out the problem guys. It was as simple as the blown 10 amp fan fuse. Fans turn on now and car stays at the temp it's supposed to. Thanks for all the responses! just me being an idiot and not paying attention to the fuse.

Quick Reply: Overheating at idle after warmup