LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt1 sounds odd to me

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 11:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt1 sounds odd to me

Just put back together an lt1 finally with LE1 heads and his 224/230 cam, lunati lifters and rockers and comp cam pushrods. Had a machine shop adjust the rocker arms for me. Towed it over to a shop to have the exhaust hooked up and idk it still sounds really noisy to me so im not sure if I should drive it. I mentioned the noise to the exhaust shop owner but he said if my engine was really knocking I would know. I left the car for the night instead of driving it home. Oil pressure on the gage is at 50 on start up. I think I will pop off the valve covers tomorrow just to double check. Really hoping I am just paranoid, Ive heard these motors sounds like sewing machines but this is a pretty loud one.

Old 06-24-2017, 01:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

I don't hear anything wrong.......

KW
Old 06-24-2017, 05:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds a-ok to me, but it is your car. Roller rockers will definitely make more noise than stockers, and some roller lifters can even tick a bit on cold start. Was this engine entirely rebuilt and you've not driven it yet? If so, certain aftermarket parts can make uncomfortable but harmless sounds. Forged pistons clatter on start, some Melling oil pumps can make a ****-ton of noise (I have one of them...its coming out soon...), and some lifters can really bleed-down when the engine is off.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya I think I am just not used to the new parts. A lot more noticeable then how I remember the car stock but its been awhile.

I think im basically just hearing the engine cause mine sounds pretty much just like how this guys car sounds when hes at the front near the engine and then when you walk around to the back you can hear only the exhaust

Still a crazy noise for me considering the v8 engine in my 82 Elco is super quiet

One more question I have is I think I might have shorted out my digital odometer on the engine reinstall, either way the panel is completely dead for it.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your cammed Lt1 sounds normal to me as well. Sometimes the valvetrains are more noisy depending on the parts used.
Unfortunately, we cannot compare the sounds to an 82 simply because the 82 never came with 10.4:1 compression, roller cam, roller rockers etc.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:51 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

If you installed a more aggressive cam your rockers are going to make more noise. It's hard to tell anything usually in a video, but I don't hear any distinct sounds to be worried about? Sounds like the tradition sewing machine whir a roller valvetrain makes.

Quick Reply: lt1 sounds odd to me