LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

A/C Performance

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A/C Performance

Hello everyone. Was gonna pick your brain and see if you can help. I just moved down to TX and have low A/C performance witch I cant have down here First i dont feel like my blower motor is blowing hard enough. If i drive on the highway with max fan and a/c sometimes freezes. It just got a brand new evaporator so i know its not clogged and i just put in new blower motor and while replacing it i reached my hand inside to make sure no leaves and stuff was inside. Any way to make it blow harder? Maybe different squirrel cage that will fit it? I also get low to no A/C at idle, it will just start blowing warm air. Its 383 with decent cam in it and only runs 8psi vacuum on idle (11 or so highway). Is ac/heater core gate vacuum operated? how much does it need if it is? or my AC radiator needs cleaning? its a bit nasty. I know its a long post but thanks in advance for reading it. I just wanna be cool ��

Last edited by sofixy89; 07-09-2017 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Have you tested the pressure in the high and low side of the AC circuit? Also, if your condenser is clogged with junk, that'll definitely have an effect.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The lack of vacuum may be inhibiting proper operation of the warm/cold flap. Seems plausible given that you have better performance of the system on the highway when the engine sees higher revs than at idle.

Can you hear the compressor cycling?
Old 07-10-2017, 02:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1FirebirdSLP
The lack of vacuum may be inhibiting proper operation of the warm/cold flap. Seems plausible given that you have better performance of the system on the highway when the engine sees higher revs than at idle.

Can you hear the compressor cycling?
The temperature control is not run by vacuum. It is has a cable. So, you can effectively rule that out.

OP, if you don't have the proper tools/skills to check out the system, I would have it professionally evaluated. Even the proper amount of charge will affect how the system operates.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

X2.

I always liked A/C repair. From what I read I would guess a low charge. Warm at idle & freezing up on the highway. Which opens up a new door. Where's the leak. Good luck.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:27 PM
Teching In

thanks for all the input. I will have pressures checked. Also installed the new cage from 2001 alero to give it a bit more flow. ( had to trim it and all kinds of stuff to fit but was worth it)
Old 07-11-2017, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

check to see if the coil is engaging on the compressor. mine will work intermittently. i put the scanner on it and it says coil is on meaning its sending voltage to it buy its not engaging. the clearance is probably too much. good luck on your findings
Old 07-14-2017, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had to have mine replaced. Spewing fluid everywhere!! $500.00 fix!
Old 07-14-2017, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

Lolz, my A/C is the removal of my t-tops and rolling down my windows. Almost positive my AC system has a leak. I was able to jumpstart the compressor with some 12v wire, then I put the refigerant in it but it won't hold any pressure at all. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: A/C Performance