LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Strange Question--Dowel Pin on LT4 Hot Cam

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 09:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Strange Question--Dowel Pin on LT4 Hot Cam

Hello everyone! This is a little bit strange, so bear with me.

I have a 1994 Z28 with the original timing cover (small holes, not converted to larger for vented opti). I bought the LT4 hot cam from a private seller. It had zero miles on it and the dowel pin had not been modified at all. I recently was informed that the dowel pin needs to be shortened on this cam if being used with the early-style timing cover/opti.

Here's the weird part though: I installed the cam before knowing that I needed to shorten the dowel pin and the timing cover went on fine. From what I've read, if the dowel isn't shortened, the timing cover won't bolt down at all. Mine, however, bolted down just fine.

What's going on here? Should I take my timing cover off and make sure my dowel is the right length or am I fine? I adjusted the valves with the timing cover on and the cam installed, so I know it rotates. I have a spare timing cover gasket and plenty of RTV on hand to do this if needed.

Also, should I take this opportunity to switch to a vented opti? A buddy has one that he'd probably sell me for cheap and the engine is out of the car and on the ground. I'd just need to procure a later-style timing cover. I'm thinking that if my dowel pin is short enough to fit under the current timing cover, however, it won't be long enough to drive the vented opti.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-26-2017, 09:50 AM
Village Troll

Received 541 Likes on 391 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

My guess is either the dowel pin was short enough or the hole in the cam snout for the dowel pin goes all the way through and when you bolted on the timing cover you pressed the dowel pin into the snout. Do you recall if the pin flush with the timing gear? Regardless, you should take the cover off and see what's going on.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SS, thanks again for your reply! It always seems like I can count on you to respond.

The posts that I read about shortening the dowel pin did say that it could be hammered in, so I wonder if I did, indeed, just press it down when I bolted on the timing cover.

Strange Question--Dowel Pin on LT4 Hot Cam-photo999.jpg

It's tough to tell, but the picture I took after I installed the timing chain appears to indicate that it was neither flush with the bolts nor the gear. I'll probably pull the timing cover and make sure we're at the right length.

Any insight on going vented?

Thanks again!
Old 07-26-2017, 10:26 AM
Village Troll

Received 541 Likes on 391 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I can't tell if that dowel pin is higher than the bolts? I guess the cam you have will accommodate the vented opti shaft? Problem with going vented is finding an opti these days that is worth a ****. Seems to be getting more challenging.

Quick Reply: Strange Question--Dowel Pin on LT4 Hot Cam