LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

MSD OTVC?'s and ASR Box?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MSD OTVC?'s and ASR Box?

Driver side tell me how to relocate and or help get the smoothie looms to fit under the box.

Option 1: Take box off and cut mounting hardware of said box to fit looms

Option 2: reroute the ASR box, be it fire way or making a custom bracket to clear OTVC wires

Option 3: Removing ASR both but wanting to KEEP ABS and Cruise. I just ordered stainless steel brake lines with traction control for my car so I'm assuming I have to keep the box now?

There has to be some way to keep this box but relocate it somewhere and or mount it somewhere else.

I also need gloss black wire looms that only fit 2 MSD wires each. I want to use 2 loom brackets to hold sets of 2 wires together when they drop down off the valve cover and before they split off to their respective spark plug by the headers.

Let me know guys!

Thanks,

BLK
Old 08-29-2017, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're set on OTVC, your best bet is the ditch the ASR box. I doubt you'd be able to clearance anything for the wires because of how close it sits to the valve cover.

What I did on my old 96 Z28 with ASR was remove the box and replace it with the non-ASR throttle and cruise cables. You might have trouble finding these, as at least one of them is discontinued by GM last I checked. Head to the junkyard.

Then all you need to do is jam a resistor into the ASR servo harness (there's only 2 pins). This will simulate that the box is still there, ABS and ASR will function just as before and you'll have no dash lights. The only thing different is the gas pedal will no longer kick back at you, which I found a plus. I forget the resistor value, but just measure the rested resistance of the motor, then head to Fry's and pick up a resistor that matches that value. Easy.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You can relocate the asr motor to the area next to the master cylinder without any modifications othe then I bolting it from the bracket...it kinda stuffs right in there out of the way

Old 08-30-2017, 05:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That location doesn't look like it would work for the t56 guys.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spcearle
You can relocate the asr motor to the area next to the master cylinder without any modifications...
That's only on 98-02 cars. The 95-97 box is much bigger and has no slack in the servo-to-TB cable for relocation.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My car is a 96 auto so not sure on the manual cars or not but an lt1 auto has enough slack in the cables and wiring to move it there like in my pics
Old 10-09-2018, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bump I'm wanting to get rid of the box, whats the steps? I'm moving towards the Torque Head 24x conversion on the valve cover just like the LS.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by spcearle
You can relocate the asr motor to the area next to the master cylinder without any modifications othe then I bolting it from the bracket...it kinda stuffs right in there out of the way

Hmmm my black box is a lot bigger than that? Did you remove the black plastic cover?

Quick Reply: MSD OTVC?'s and ASR Box?