LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

ECM Flash

Old 09-13-2017, 03:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECM Flash

Hey guys, I was thinking of buying an ECM for my 94 LT1 from Flashmasters. The listing says that once I buy the ECM I just give them the vin and they flash it before sending it out. Now, the lt1 on my car isn't stock and I'm wondering if that makes any difference when the ECM gets flashed? Am I okay to do it through Flashmasters or should I take it to my mechanics shop to get it flashed?
Old 09-13-2017, 04:52 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fischdogg1
Hey guys, I was thinking of buying an ECM for my 94 LT1 from Flashmasters. The listing says that once I buy the ECM I just give them the vin and they flash it before sending it out. Now, the lt1 on my car isn't stock and I'm wondering if that makes any difference when the ECM gets flashed? Am I okay to do it through Flashmasters or should I take it to my mechanics shop to get it flashed?
A blank PCM won't start your car. Programmed for the wrong car, it may not shift, speedo off, etc. They are likely putting the correct factory calibration for your car (based on the VIN) before they sell it to you.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
A blank PCM won't start your car. Programmed for the wrong car, it may not shift, speedo off, etc. They are likely putting the correct factory calibration for your car (based on the VIN) before they sell it to you.
The top end of the engine isn't stock though. Will that make any difference when flashing? Or can I still just have them flash it to the vin?
Old 09-14-2017, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Is flashmsters selling you a stock ECM? That's what it sounds like, do they offer tuning? If not you need to find someone who does LT1 tuning and have them tune for your mods. Why are you getting a new ECM? Like Ed said, the VIN they are requesting is so they can flash the stock calibration into the ECM so all the other modules jive and work together, in stock form.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

Please send a link to what you may be buying and give some info about whats done to your car, that would help a bunch. Not trying to be a pain.

To answer your question. Go ahead and have them flash the ecm. Chances are that your mechanic doesn't have the ability to flash your style of ecm. If they do then there is a chance the ecm could become bricked. If that happens your probably gonna get stuck with a bricked ecm that a warranty wont cover since some one else tried to flash it. Also bepending on your mods the stock tune will run most applications. Probably not well or great but enough to probably run down the road on. I would advise you get a tune when you can.

Last edited by J-13gtp; 09-14-2017 at 02:42 PM. Reason: words
Old 09-15-2017, 02:34 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by biketopia
Is flashmsters selling you a stock ECM? That's what it sounds like, do they offer tuning? If not you need to find someone who does LT1 tuning and have them tune for your mods. Why are you getting a new ECM? Like Ed said, the VIN they are requesting is so they can flash the stock calibration into the ECM so all the other modules jive and work together, in stock form.
I'm not sure if they offer tuning. I'll probly just have to
take it to get tuned. The reason I'm getting a new pcm is because it has a bad circuit.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Depending on "How modded" you motor is you can get a pcm from the junkyard from a 94 or 95, is it necessary to have your vin for a 94? then you can get it tuned, the chevy dealer will flash a stock tune but they cannot bench flash it, has to be in the vehicle..
Old 09-16-2017, 04:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
Depending on "How modded" you motor is you can get a pcm from the junkyard from a 94 or 95, is it necessary to have your vin for a 94? then you can get it tuned, the chevy dealer will flash a stock tune but they cannot bench flash it, has to be in the vehicle..
This. If you need a replacement computer until you get to your tuner you could just grab one from a 94 or 95 fbody with the trans you have. I would not recommend wasting the effort having one programmed with your VIN. Our vehicles do not require it at all since the computers are plug and go. If you need a tune and need it done through mail you could contact one of the mail order guys. They usually have a stack of cores ready so that turn around time is minimal.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by madhatter
This. If you need a replacement computer until you get to your tuner you could just grab one from a 94 or 95 fbody with the trans you have. I would not recommend wasting the effort having one programmed with your VIN. Our vehicles do not require it at all since the computers are plug and go. If you need a tune and need it done through mail you could contact one of the mail order guys. They usually have a stack of cores ready so that turn around time is minimal.
Sounds good ill probably just go ahead and grab one from the junkyard. My mechanic was saying not to get a used one because he's had problems but right now it looks like the best option. My idle is always fluctuating and I basically cant use any accessories without it messing with the car running. Terrible gas mileage, cant use the a/c, fluctuating idle, the whole works. I gotta get this fixed.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by J-13gtp
Please send a link to what you may be buying and give some info about whats done to your car, that would help a bunch. Not trying to be a pain.

To answer your question. Go ahead and have them flash the ecm. Chances are that your mechanic doesn't have the ability to flash your style of ecm. If they do then there is a chance the ecm could become bricked. If that happens your probably gonna get stuck with a bricked ecm that a warranty wont cover since some one else tried to flash it. Also bepending on your mods the stock tune will run most applications. Probably not well or great but enough to probably run down the road on. I would advise you get a tune when you can.
Here's the link for the ecm:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-Firebir...1YrYQE&vxp=mtr

From what everyone is saying it looks like I can just get one from the junkyard out of a 94,95 with the same transmission.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by madhatter
Also if I go ahead and take an ecm out of another firebird that's a 94-95 with the same trans can I just throw the ecm in my car and it'll be good. Do have to do anything else besides that? Do I have to take anything out of my old computer and put it in the other one or anything like that?
Old 09-19-2017, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Looking for a boneyard PCM, important thing to consider is the rear axle ratio, especially if you're an auto. Shifts will be way off if the rear gears are different. If manual, just the speedo will be off. Auto will be both. In your glove box, the RPO codes will tell you what rear you have.

GU2 = 2.73:1 2 series carrier
GU3 = 2.93:1 2 series carrier
GU4 = 3.08:1 3(?) series carrier
GU5 = 3.23:1 3 series carrier
GU6 = 3.42:1 3 series carrier

You can also count how many driveshaft revolutions it takes to turn the rear wheels one complete revolution.

OBDI ALDL cable is cheap, TunerPro RT software is free, EEHack is also free
http://www.reddevilriver.com/aldl.html 12 pin cable
http://tunerpro.net/
http://fbodytech.com

Large number of stock tunes at http://fbodytech.com/bin-files-2/bin-files, you can find one close to yours, though I'd start with one your same axle ratio to avoid having to redo the shift points/ tables. Your tuner will know how to adjust those if you're an auto.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Gojira94
Looking for a boneyard PCM, important thing to consider is the rear axle ratio, especially if you're an auto. Shifts will be way off if the rear gears are different. If manual, just the speedo will be off. Auto will be both. In your glove box, the RPO codes will tell you what rear you have.

GU2 = 2.73:1 2 series carrier
GU3 = 2.93:1 2 series carrier
GU4 = 3.08:1 3(?) series carrier
GU5 = 3.23:1 3 series carrier
GU6 = 3.42:1 3 series carrier

You can also count how many driveshaft revolutions it takes to turn the rear wheels one complete revolution.

OBDI ALDL cable is cheap, TunerPro RT software is free, EEHack is also free
http://www.reddevilriver.com/aldl.html 12 pin cable
http://tunerpro.net/
http://fbodytech.com

Large number of stock tunes at http://fbodytech.com/bin-files-2/bin-files, you can find one close to yours, though I'd start with one your same axle ratio to avoid having to redo the shift points/ tables. Your tuner will know how to adjust those if you're an auto.
Awesome thanks I wasn't aware of the rear axle ratio factor. It makes sense though. I do have an automatic so good thing you mentioned it. I'll take care of this and the get the equipment for tuning. This info. helps a lot appreciate it.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

I got a couple of 94-95 ecms I'm selling right now if your interested.

Here's one
https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...ash-chips.html
Old 09-21-2017, 10:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by J-13gtp
I got a couple of 94-95 ecms I'm selling right now if your interested.

Here's one
https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...ash-chips.html
So basically I just need to send you the info on my car and then when I put the ecm in I go get it flashed? Also do you know how I can find what my car's tune is set at because it's not stock. I'm unsure of how to do this.The top end was built before I got the car and the guy who had it before me had no clue. It has Cam, roller rockers, etc.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fischdogg1
So basically I just need to send you the info on my car and then when I put the ecm in I go get it flashed? Also do you know how I can find what my car's tune is set at because it's not stock. I'm unsure of how to do this.The top end was built before I got the car and the guy who had it before me had no clue. It has Cam, roller rockers, etc.
OK, lets stop for just a second. So you have no idea what cam it is or the specs of the build. But you do know that the ECM was tuned. If that's that case then I could maybe download the tune from your ECM and place it onto one of mine. Tell me what exactly happened to your ECM. Did it completely die or just part of a circuit isn't working. You said earlier that a circuit wasn't working. If so which one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ECM Flash