LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Gains going solid roller?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 04:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
To turn your own personal engine into 500-lap life engine would be useless, and it is. A solid roller can do that if you let. You don't NEED to let it, but it could. And if you did it to win a race, that is important for a career, maybe it was worth it.

As usual I am showing both sides, of course if there are two sides and I am using both you can disagree with either side and still be learning. The "left" side of graph shows short-life engines used for racing that are dismantled whether they fail or not at each race, or even during a race, etc... and on the "right" side is the ultra-long life 1,000,000 mile engine whos owner either had to do nothing with the perfect oem hydraulic lifter or apparently needed to adjust the valvetrain every 50k-(X)90k because solid roller. It gives us experimental data for statistically relevant calculations, if we can figure out some useful comparison equations.
And again you don't get it... This is a discussion on solid roller lifters not race engines or engine life... Solid lifters are fine for the street if you maintain them and do not shorten the life of the engine.....How hard is that for you to understand.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:57 PM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by SS RRR
lol... it takes all kinds. still awaiting who this "we" is that gathers all this data for you to read this "ejumikated."
Wasn't it you who recently had trouble figuring out which was a power and which was a torque curve on a dynograph? Why yes. Yes it was.
And he is also the one who recently went looking for an engine and had to ask for help identifying all the parts in the picture including a picture of an OBD2 port/computer/ac compressor and so on

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
Hello, I am planning my first LSx swap (personal use). Basically I've read through all the sloppy mechanics stuff and checked out quite a few build threads over the past couple years, and I am ready to start collecting parts.

First step is identifications. I took some pictures and made labels to help this go smoothly. Once I know what "I need to make sure I get and how to get it" I can move on to actually finding a donor vehicle/engine.

Attachment 591015
The first thing I noted was that the junkyard had a bunch of these, presumably 5.3's (Is it always a 5.3?) with the engine exposed like this, where I could easily pull the harness out. Is my guess accurate? That is, would the harness be cake to come out considering the condition of an engine like this? It looks like it, at first.

Attachment 591016
This picture is just to clarify terminology. Are the labels accurate? Are those the "good coils" everyone loves to use for boost? I am guessing not.

Attachment 591017
So this one is where it gets messy. I want to verify that is in fact the ECU for the engine. Also, is that the trans computer with it? And finally, it looks like the ECU harness is integrated to the fuse box. How do I deal with that? Will I need to remove the entire fuse box with the engine harness?

Attachment 591018
This is a picture of the A/C compressor I saw on the trucks. It is mounted low, and looks "small" to me. is this the smallest compressor they make for LSx engine? Also is this the same or similar location as the F-body uses? Or GTO? I wll not be using Truck accessories for my swap, only F-body and GTO items will work. But if the compressor is "small" I might be able to re-use the truck version and just move it. Or something. Thoughts?

Attachment 591019
This appears to be the OBD port inside the truck, as part of the factory chassis harness. Can I cut it out and re-wire it to the engine harness, or will I need to pull the chassis harness out, or how will I deal with this? I want to use HP tuner so I need this port I think.

Final thoughts: It looks like a GEN3 engine is the way to go (low cost and easy electronics, and no DoD), if I can find one from a truck with the 13mm header bolts and rear camshaft sensor I will take everything after I check under the valve cover and do a compression test, then grab a spare longblock if I can find it as well.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:56 AM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
And again you don't get it... This is a discussion on solid roller lifters not race engines or engine life... Solid lifters are fine for the street if you maintain them and do not shorten the life of the engine.....How hard is that for you to understand.
I guess you never built a race winning engine.

About my post that shows me going to a junkyard with no clue what I am doing -> Then suddenly 3month later I have a running, driving, boosting LS conversion.

It was setup like this on purpose. I see now you are too stupid to realize the implication so I will rub your nose in it for being a bad dog. The implied theme here is thrice that:

1. You don't need to know anything about LS engines to initially evaluate, swap, tune, wire, and work on LS engines.

2. Detailed LS swaps including Turbos, 4l80e, and so forth can be done in a matter of months (It took me three months more or less) even by somebody with no prior knowledge, no air tools, and no lift.

Now that I've proven these two, Please keep throwing around my amazing series of events that makes me look like an incredible mechanic/electrician and gives others hope for their own swaps. Also, please stop spreading bad advice like a disease. If you keep trashing me I will simply copy/paste some of your quotes and make you look like an idiot with ur own words, tool. You have less right to be here than most and unlike most I will not be using moderators to counter your idiocy, I will be using your own brain to disembowel your mind.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:35 AM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 10 Year

Your are truly delusional lol

How many races have you won? How many trophies on your shelf? I'll admit I only have three wins but I ran upfront most races and I built my own stuff..... How about you?

I've been around racing for decades and know what it takes to win.

Last edited by LLLosingit; 11-11-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:50 AM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 10 Year

Here is one of my trophies, As you can see I just took the picture.....Now lets see yours!
Old 11-11-2017, 11:05 AM
Village Troll

Received 541 Likes on 391 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Solid lifters have greatly improved for street use in the last ten-or-so years.

How many races have you won? How many trophies on your shelf? I'll admit I only have three wins but I ran upfront most races and I built my own stuff..... How about you?
Not important to prove thingies on the interwebs.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR

Not important to prove thingies on the interwebs.
Agreed! Can we get back to the technical topic of my thread, which is what would i benefit going solid roller and why it is or is not worth it?
Old 11-11-2017, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

That was a bad-*** video CamOnlyJabroni posted! That engine went to 7000 rpm instantly! ONLY a SOLID ROLLER could do that.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sixt9er
That was a bad-*** video CamOnlyJabroni posted! That engine went to 7000 rpm instantly! ONLY a SOLID ROLLER could do that.
I値l have to take a vid of mine, it accelerates just as quick as that video, it痴 almost exactly the same size cam but hydraulic.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Please, by all means, POST THE VID!

I typically run solid flat tappet and solid roller cams in the majority of my 500+ HP BBC. Setting valve lash is a breeze and rarely do I have to make adjustments to the valve-train. Keep in mind, most of the systems include stud girdles, Crower or Comp roller rocker arms, etc. These engines and components see on average, about 10,000 miles a year of street-duty, auto-crossing and quarter-mile action.

Most of my customers have me regularly check and inspect the power-plants for any anomalies and lash adjustments. With the right valve-train components, actual re-adjustments are damn near eliminated, after initial valve lash setting on engine test stand.

Most gains would be in the form of increased RPM, if all else is equal.

Last edited by sixt9er; 11-13-2017 at 10:44 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Thanks. That was with baby 185cc runners and heavy valves. I will make some GoPro vids of the AFR Mamo ported 210's with light 8mm valves when it gets done. Hydraulic works great but you can't match the performance of solid when it comes to aggressive high rpm combinations. No pumping loss, lighter valvetrain and the valve events are dead accurate.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:13 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CamOnlyJabroni
Thanks. That was with baby 185cc runners and heavy valves. I will make some GoPro vids of the AFR Mamo ported 210's with light 8mm valves when it gets done. Hydraulic works great but you can't match the performance of solid when it comes to aggressive high rpm combinations. No pumping loss, lighter valvetrain and the valve events are dead accurate.
That is pretty much the same change that I did last year. Same cam I have now, but I went from small ported 185cc runners and unported LT1 intake to 55cc AFR 210 with the Comp porting swapped with Nextek beehives and LE ported LT4 intake. Made a HUGE difference on the top end, thus another reason that I am considering a solid roller swap, to get even more out of the top end. I think I may go with EFI Connection 24x or 58x swap first though, for the better tuning ability, better ignition, and the higher RPM capability.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by kgkern01
That is pretty much the same change that I did last year. Same cam I have now, but I went from small ported 185cc runners and unported LT1 intake to 55cc AFR 210 with the Comp porting swapped with Nextek beehives and LE ported LT4 intake. Made a HUGE difference on the top end, thus another reason that I am considering a solid roller swap, to get even more out of the top end. I think I may go with EFI Connection 24x or 58x swap first though, for the better tuning ability, better ignition, and the higher RPM capability.
There is more to be gained if you go solid and at the same time, convert the pcm. The heads that you have with lightweight valve train isn't costing you much having hydraulic vs. solid. I would do both at the same time then take that sucker out to 75-8000rpm. Thats where your next level of gains are to be had. Your current came specs with those heads depending on LSA most likely peaks around 65-6600 rpm now. No real reason to convert with that hyd cam. Thats besides the point though because if you go solid, you will go bigger as well. Just my insight.

Those are the same chamber size heads Tony is doing for me. He is going to knock them down to 54cc and try to get as close to 13:1 compression with e85 as possible. Glad to hear the head change made a big difference. I figured I would be in for a noticeable difference past 5krpm.

Last edited by CamOnlyJabroni; 11-14-2017 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:11 AM
TECH Resident

Please, by all means, POST THE VID!
Finally got a chance to get a little quick highway roll vid, started at 3500 like in the above vid. Took off in 3rd but spun when I first took off.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Finally got a chance to get a little quick highway roll vid, started at 3500 like in the above vid. Took off in 3rd but spun when I first took off.

https://youtu.be/GND0uil5Xzk
Dude, that thing is ******* screaming! Can稚 wait!!
Old 12-01-2017, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 273 Likes on 178 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by lllosingit
and he is also the one who recently went looking for an engine and had to ask for help identifying all the parts in the picture including a picture of an obd2 port/computer/ac compressor and so on

lololololololololololololololololololololol
Old 04-12-2021, 09:49 PM
TECH Resident

I know I originally started this thread a while back, however things have changed, so I知 revisiting this. Had a Manley Nextec valve spring break and dropped a valve which took out the #1 piston, bent the rod, rocker arm, and cracked the cylinder wall. So now I知 rebuilding the 383 with a new block, higher compression pistons, going from 12.4 to now 13.8:1. So now that I need new springs, lifters, and a rocker arm anyway, would the gains going for a streetable, say low lash solid roller be worth it now?
Old 04-13-2021, 06:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I know I originally started this thread a while back, however things have changed, so I知 revisiting this. Had a Manley Nextec valve spring break and dropped a valve which took out the #1 piston, bent the rod, rocker arm, and cracked the cylinder wall. So now I知 rebuilding the 383 with a new block, higher compression pistons, going from 12.4 to now 13.8:1. So now that I need new springs, lifters, and a rocker arm anyway, would the gains going for a streetable, say low lash solid roller be worth it now?
I just found this thread. I'm about to be running an almost identical setup to your old one. I remember having a conversation with Lloyd about going beehive instead of doubles. He talked me out of them due to breakage issues at higher pressures.

Did you ever get it dynoed or get some good times out of it?
Old 04-13-2021, 07:05 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ElkySS
I just found this thread. I'm about to be running an almost identical setup to your old one. I remember having a conversation with Lloyd about going beehive instead of doubles. He talked me out of them due to breakage issues at higher pressures.

Did you ever get it dynoed or get some good times out of it?
I never did get it on a dyno, was going to this spring, but it broke lol. My next door neighbor has a 450whp supercharged Mustang, and I beat him from a slow roll on the highway, so I should be making at least that or more. I知 going double springs after this for sure.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:17 AM
Village Troll

Received 541 Likes on 391 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Since my SR setup I went with a XFI292 and hp/torque curves between the two are almost identical. The current HR cam makes as much power at 6200 as my SR did at 6800.... or there abouts. Differences are nominal. Drivability is still exactly the same between the two. I've thought about gearing up to 4.10's instead of the 4.56's since it almost never sees the track anymore. IMO if you're going to stick with a lesser aggressive profile (I'm thinking that's what you mean by low lash?) cam then stay HR.

Quick Reply: Gains going solid roller?