Header hitting floor - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Header hitting floor

Old 11-06-2017, 08:58 PM   #1
On The Tree

Default Header hitting floor

I know this has been talked about and the fix is Polly motor mounts. I just put my new motor back in with a new tubular k member that has the solid motor mount on the passenger side and my old Polly mount that was on my car prior to installing the new motor. Before I had no issues with it hitting. It was very close but didn't hit. Now at idle I can feel it bumping the car at all times. This is happening in the driver's side. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking about getting some header wrap just the help but would love to fix the real issue. I have pacesetter headers and y pipe. Also the car has been on a lift for over 1 year so I'm wondering if the car and suspension just need to settle a bit on the road again.
z28jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:14 AM   #2
Village Troll

Don't use wrap. It'll wear through or rust the **** out of your headers, or both. Do you know where it is coming into contact? With my Hookers I had to ground a little bit of the trans brace and bolt heads on the drivers side and after that it was fine.
SS RRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:30 PM   #3
On The Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS RRR View Post
Don't use wrap. It'll wear through or rust the **** out of your headers, or both. Do you know where it is coming into contact? With my Hookers I had to ground a little bit of the trans brace and bolt heads on the drivers side and after that it was fine.
It hits right at the end of the header where the y pipe connects to it.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:34 PM   #4
Village Troll

Is the header flanged?
Old 11-07-2017, 04:57 PM   #5
On The Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jimmy View Post
It hits right at the end of the header where the y pipe connects to it.
I have tsp headers which I believe are just pacesetter clones and mine used to hit the floor plan right at the collector/y pipe. Which seems to be right under your feet when driving and it's annoying. Also caused knock sensor issues for me
it may seem a bit caveman tactics but even new motor mounts didnt fix my issue. I marked the contact area and used a bfh to clearance
CFLFORMULA93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:02 PM   #6
On The Tree

Quote:
Is the header flanged?
No flange on the headers.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:56 AM   #7
Village Troll

Well... I don't condone this, but have read of people using a BFH to dent the floor pan to clear it... Because your mounts are stout I don't think anything is going to settle.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:09 PM   #8
On The Tree

Quote:
Well... I don't condone this, but have read of people using a BFH to dent the floor pan to clear it... Because your mounts are stout I don't think anything is going to settle.
Yeah that's the conclusion that have come to also.. I really really don't want to do this but guess this is what I get for buying cheap headers.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:01 PM   #9
On The Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jimmy View Post
Yeah that's the conclusion that have come to also.. I really really don't want to do this but guess this is what I get for buying cheap headers.
mine didn't take much and it hit right where the floor was reinforced...cant feel it from the inside only need 1/2 " or so
CFLFORMULA93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:40 PM   #10
On The Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFLFORMULA93 View Post
mine didn't take much and it hit right where the floor was reinforced...cant feel it from the inside only need 1/2 " or so
Thanks for the info. I'll be working on it again Friday or Saturday so we'll see what I can do. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:00 PM   #11
On The Tree

Well the BFH worked very well. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.