LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need opti spark advice.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 08:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need opti spark advice.

I have a 1994 Impala SS and I think the opti is on its way out. The main thing it does is hard start in the morning. Crank and it try to start but just kinda runs on not actually starting. It takes about 5 mins of this to actually start and run. What opti spark is a good quality to get? I see they range from 50- 500 bucks. Also is there anything else I should change while I'm doing the opti spark?
Old 11-15-2017, 11:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

I would check fuel pressure first. Also after car does start and runs for a few minutes shut off and pull the rubber vacuum line off the FPR behind motor. If any sign of fuel in that rubber nipple your FPR is bad. This will cause a prolonged crank issue to start.

If FP checks out you need to look into ignition. Opti would be suspect but ICM a possibility as is coil so you want to confirm what may be your issue before just replacing parts.

If you have a front timing cover oil leak than likely the Opti got oil inside and this in itself will cause a no start or prolonged start/stumble issue. Typically you can just remove opti, cap & rotor and then disassemble opti to clean carefully inside it. The oil leak itself is often from the water pump drive seal, It takes either the "tool" or a Sharpie pen cap to install that seal to prevent the inner seal lip from folding over and thus a immediate oil leak

If the Opti electronically is bad..replacement choices are somewhat a crap shoot. The AC Delco remanufactured one being the best but not cheap (rockauto,com). The cheap off shore ones are a total crap shoot. Some have had them work and others find they are DOA right out of box. Whatever Opti you get, remove rotor screws and use blue loc-tite on them
Old 11-15-2017, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 1967BuickGS400
I have a 1994 Impala SS and I think the opti is on its way out. The main thing it does is hard start in the morning. Crank and it try to start but just kinda runs on not actually starting. It takes about 5 mins of this to actually start and run. What opti spark is a good quality to get? I see they range from 50- 500 bucks. Also is there anything else I should change while I'm doing the opti spark?
I have three good, working optis....two with VERY low miles and two are AC-Delco.

If it turns out that you need one.......

KW
Old 11-16-2017, 06:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KW Baraka
I have three good, working optis....two with VERY low miles and two are AC-Delco.

KW
Shoot me a pm and let me know how much you would like for one of the AC delcos
Old 11-16-2017, 06:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ******
I would check fuel pressure first. Also after car does start and runs for a few minutes shut off and pull the rubber vacuum line off the FPR behind motor. If any sign of fuel in that rubber nipple your FPR is bad. This will cause a prolonged crank issue to start.

If FP checks out you need to look into ignition. Opti would be suspect but ICM a possibility as is coil so you want to confirm what may be your issue before just replacing parts.

If you have a front timing cover oil leak than likely the Opti got oil inside and this in itself will cause a no start or prolonged start/stumble issue. Typically you can just remove opti, cap & rotor and then disassemble opti to clean carefully inside it. The oil leak itself is often from the water pump drive seal, It takes either the "tool" or a Sharpie pen cap to install that seal to prevent the inner seal lip from folding over and thus a immediate oil leak

If the Opti electronically is bad..replacement choices are somewhat a crap shoot. The AC Delco remanufactured one being the best but not cheap (rockauto,com). The cheap off shore ones are a total crap shoot. Some have had them work and others find they are DOA right out of box. Whatever Opti you get, remove rotor screws and use blue loc-tite on them
Thanks for the info I'll look into these first
Old 11-17-2017, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1967BuickGS400
Shoot me a pm and let me know how much you would like for one of the AC delcos
You have PM.

KW
Old 11-17-2017, 11:38 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

KW
Lemme guess... you'll let them go for a cool grand a piece?
Old 11-18-2017, 05:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Lemme guess... you'll let them go for a cool grand a piece?
I sell them for what the market will bare.....without concern for whether or not you approve.

KW
Old 11-18-2017, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

KW
this guy at it again...did you run out of km to sell....you moved on to Opti's.? What gives I thought you could still get reman acdelco units? If not op you could try the msd version they will stand behind it and rebuild if necessary down the road. Loctite rotor screws just stay away from the cheap Chinese ones
Old 11-19-2017, 10:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CFLFORMULA93
this guy at it again...did you run out of km to sell.........
As a matter of fact.....I did run out.

..l....you moved on to Opti's.?.....
Why? You need one?

KW
Old 11-20-2017, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a matter of fact.....I did run out.

Why? You need one?

KW
no I'm good I found another thread where you were hustling 96/97 pcms? Have any of those Left? 96 timing cover ? Lt4 intakes? Cabbage patch dolls? Rare beanie babies?
Old 11-20-2017, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

no I'm good I found another thread where you were hustling 96/97 pcms? Have any of those Left? 96 timing cover ? Lt4 intakes? Cabbage patch dolls? Rare beanie babies?
I have a couple of PCMs in a box somewhere.

Everything else is sold, though.

Thanks for asking!!

KW
Old 11-21-2017, 11:33 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

LOL... all can be had for the very low price of 9999.95!1
Old 11-22-2017, 09:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SS RRR
LOL... all can be had for the very low price of 9999.95!1
But for you.....and ONLY you.....I can cut a very special deal of 99999999.99.

KW

Quick Reply: Need opti spark advice.