LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Power steering pump leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering pump leak

I just finished doing a LT1 conversion on my 65 Buick Skylark. The motor is out of a 2002 Silverado and was completely rebuilt. The original power steering pump was shot so that was replaced along with all of the hoses and of course it has brand new fluid. I have a leak from somewhere on the underside of the pump that only happens after the car has not been driven for a couple of days. It sat in my garage for 4 days without a leak and as soon as I pulled it out to the driveway it started leaking and within 20 minutes there was a 2 ft wide puddle. The pump whines really bad until the motor gets up to temp.

Any suggestions? Should I just replace the new pump?
Old 11-23-2017, 05:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

assuming the leak is not from the lines going into pump....replace. The pump whine is a 2nd reason to replace

if the donor engine came from a 2002 Silverado...its not a LT1. It would be a LSx
Old 11-23-2017, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ******
assuming the leak is not from the lines going into pump....replace. The pump whine is a 2nd reason to replace

if the donor engine came from a 2002 Silverado...its not a LT1. It would be a LSx
Thanks! I wasn’t positive that it was out of a Silverado anyway. My husband was doing the conversion when he passed away so im still trying to figure everything out. I know that he said it was an LT. I was leaning toward replacing the power steering pump anyway. This just confirms my decision. Thanks again!
Old 11-23-2017, 09:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

the engine platform doesn't matter but either one in a 65 Skylark would be cool.

the whine you hear from PS pump may be because it is low on fluid because of the leak. If you can't see all of the pump from above, you would need to get under the car to try and see where the leak is coming from. If front or rear bearing area the pump is done. If the hose fitting tighten it and confirm it is on straight and not x threaded

Bleed the new pump when you get it in

Quick Reply: Power steering pump leak