LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

cc503 and 58mm BBK Idle Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 06:27 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default cc503 and 58mm BBK Idle Issue

I know its around here as I remember looking at the thread a few months back but I cant find the damn thing. Basically, after a hard acceleration on deceleration the RPMs are normal, but if I shift into Neutral while coasting to a stop the RPMs hang up at 2k until the clutch is engaged and or the car stops. I believe I read that it had something to do with some of the ports on the BBK TB but I cant remember. Don't have access to a scan tool right now as I'm 4 states away and the car is up for the winter.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Did this just start? or after a tune? did you install any mods? Need more info.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
Did this just start? or after a tune? did you install any mods? Need more info.

Its hard telling because of how infrequently I drive the car. I can tell you, it didn't do it after my tune and I installed my cc503 in Denver. The only thing that changed since then was my tuner altered for the elevation change after I moved to Indianapolis. I have some winter projects going on with the car as of right now so its on stands in my garage and being tore down. The times it has done it to me I never had the opportunity to even check if the car was running closed loop, IAC Count or anything else. Hopefully this spring ill be able to do some proper diagnosis on the vehicle if the problem persists. But I'm out of state for Christmas vacation right now. I can tell you that under normal driving conditions 9 times of of 10 it wont do it. Usually happens after a hard accelerations and then a couple of down shifts during deceleration and then into neutral when it hangs up. Once the car comes to a stop it drops to normal. The reason I'm getting around to posting this now, is I thought I remember reading someplace that other LT1's with the same cam and certain aftermarket tb's had similar issues.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a problem close to yours on a non-fbody car. The throttle would stick at WOT between shifts sometimes, but it progressively got worse. Normally I could blip the throttle and it would get unstuck. When the issue progressed, the throttle would stay pinned to the floor for a second or two before returning to 0% throttle. I ended up lubricating everything I could find and it solved the problem.

There was a accelerator pedal return spring on the firewall which was squeeking and probably the culprit, I also got the plunger where the throttle cable goes through the firewall. Then I lubed up any point I could get to where the cable travels through the engine bay and the throttle body itself.

You might want to take off your throttle body to clean and lubricate it, along with the cable. It might be something as simple as that.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 4K+Converter
I had a problem close to yours on a non-fbody car. The throttle would stick at WOT between shifts sometimes, but it progressively got worse. Normally I could blip the throttle and it would get unstuck. When the issue progressed, the throttle would stay pinned to the floor for a second or two before returning to 0% throttle. I ended up lubricating everything I could find and it solved the problem.

There was a accelerator pedal return spring on the firewall which was squeeking and probably the culprit, I also got the plunger where the throttle cable goes through the firewall. Then I lubed up any point I could get to where the cable travels through the engine bay and the throttle body itself.

You might want to take off your throttle body to clean and lubricate it, along with the cable. It might be something as simple as that.
I will deff give it a try, but I feel its more Vac or Tune related. The rpms hang up at the same point and drop on their own and it only happens while coasting in neutral. Swapping in some ported heads here this winter and ill have the motor all tore down and cleaning the throttle body and lubing the cable are part of my plans.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:14 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

It could be tune related.
Throttle follower vrs mph table.

Or your TB minimum opening could be set too high. Check your IAC counts at idle with engine at operating temp.
Old 12-24-2017, 05:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by RGSS
. Check your IAC counts at idle with engine at operating temp.
^^^^^

they want to be 30-35
Old 12-26-2017, 07:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RGSS
It could be tune related.
Throttle follower vrs mph table.

Or your TB minimum opening could be set too high. Check your IAC counts at idle with engine at operating temp.
Originally Posted by ******
^^^^^

they want to be 30-35

That was my plan as soon as Im home, just don't have access to my car or equipment at the moment. Merry Christmas everyone

Quick Reply: cc503 and 58mm BBK Idle Issue