LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Fuel sending unit: delco or spectra?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 01:56 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Fuel sending unit: delco or spectra?

I知 curious if anyone has any experience with either unit as I知 in need of a new one and it seems these are the only two options?

I have a 93z28 that I left sitting for 7 years while I was in school. When I finally got around to working on it, it cranked solid but wouldn稚 fire. No fuel pressure at all at the fuel rails. Checking relays and fuses, came to the conclusion it was my pump so I ordered a Delphi unit I currently have sitting in my garage.

I took a gamble and crossed my fingers hoping the sending unit would be fine but after dropping the tank it was blatently evident neither the tank or sending unit would be salvageable. Rust and corrosion and various deposits have made both pieces little more than paper weights.

I am ordering a Dorman tank but haven稚 decided on the sending units yet. I致e read good and bad from both but neither unit has any reviews on summit so looking for some direction here. Price for the spectra is around $130 and the delco is just under $200. Is it worth it to pay more for the delco? Thanks guys.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

DOrman is junk, get the delco and save yourself the headache of inferior electronic parts,
Old 01-19-2018, 03:30 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I went through the same ordeal with my car. I would get the AC Delco sending unit and not think twice.

I used a Spectra replacement tank.

If you haven't, it might be worth checking prices on Rock Auto. I'm not sure what shipping would run, but their component prices are a quite a bit cheaper than places like Autozone etc..
Old 01-19-2018, 04:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got the ~$120 Spectra complete hanger from Amazon when the same thing happened to me a few months back. Had high positive ratings, and I just needed something to get the car running since I was moving. It dropped right in and worked perfectly, but the car has only been driven 3 or 4 times in the last year so I cannot comment on the long term reliability.

If your car will be a DD, and you plan on keeping in mild, I would spend the extra to get the Delco unit. If it is more of a track car with a lot of mods in its future, then you will probably be replacing the pump anyway so the spectra would save you a few bucks on the basket and sending unit. Its not a crazy complicated electrical piece so in this case, so IMO unless you plan on keeping the stock pump the spectra basket+sending unit would likely be fine.

Also I cannot stress enough how important to leave the pumps SEALED and CLEAN right until you install. Resist the urge to remove them from the package to inspect it. They are extremely fragile inside and I would wager a large majority of premature fuel pump failures are due to dirty installations. I do not remove a pump from the factory bag until the old one is completely removed, and the basket is cleaned and ready to go.

Don't forget to change the fuel filter as well.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:41 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks guys I appreciate the input. I値l definitely be getting the delco unit. I have no plans for the car right now other than just making it a daily. I have my eyes set on trying to jump into a new z06 hopefully this summer. Maybe then I値l try to get into making the camaro more race ready. I have another brand new complete LT1 sitting in the garage next to the car just waiting for some attention so I値l end up throwing some money that way in time.

Quick Reply: Fuel sending unit: delco or spectra?