LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Afr vs Ai vs Le heads

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 09:48 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

^^^ I thought I warned you they would be busy, and also LTx stuff is very low on their list of priorities. Alot of the controversy about LE came from quality control and underperforming combinations. Some did well, others were shoddy. Almost seemed to be a crap shoot with them. The arguments stemmed from those monetarily and emotionally vested in LE's products. I've seen these complaints dating back to the mid 2000's.
I agree with Puck as far as any of them will do for 500hp. Don't forget LPE, either. I've had two combinations using their heads that hit just north of 500hp, but like AI, they aren't keen on LT components anymore. I have no idea if their pricing is competitive either. I'd also suggest Gallant Technical Performance, but they seem to have fallen off the face of the earth.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There is also TEA. Brian Tooley was the man responsible there and has since moved on. I was always impressed with TEA porting results. They might have moved on from LT1's as most have. If you call they might still have the CNC program.
I don't think Brian Tooley (at his new company) ports LT1s anymore but might be worth a phone call or email.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Tooley does not do LT1's anymore. I looked into it earlier this year.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have both LE3s and AFR Eliminator 210s and I like them both, I got the LE3s for my NA 383 street car and the AFRs for my custom 383 turbo setup.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

I have a set of Lingenfelter hand ported 185cc heads and a port matched LT1 intake I would sell. I moved to a set of Mamo hand finished AFR 210 Comp port heads and a port match edelbrock LT4 intake. Heads have Manley 2.02/1.60 valves, titanium retainers and Patriot Gold Extreme springs. $550 shipped for heads and intake.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:42 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by CamOnlyJabroni
I have a set of Lingenfelter hand ported 185cc heads and a port matched LT1 intake I would sell. I moved to a set of Mamo hand finished AFR 210 Comp port heads and a port match edelbrock LT4 intake. Heads have Manley 2.02/1.60 valves, titanium retainers and Patriot Gold Extreme springs. $550 shipped for heads and intake.
Did you use the same cam with those heads? If so, what kind of gains did you experience?
Old 08-12-2018, 10:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Camonlyjabroni... pm sent
Old 08-12-2018, 10:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just read on the LT1 fb page a guy waited almost a year to get AI 21* trickflows.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

15 days and no replay from AI. I dont give a **** how busy they are in terms of at least responding to emails. A simple "were sorry, but we have too much work to manage AND at thise time and we wont be able to service you. But thanks for the interest" would be very professional and appropriate here. Am i wrong here?

So I looked up the porting service at TEA as recommended. Am I seeing this correct? That they want $730 for the service. That seems very inexpensive. Maybe its per head. So Brian Tooley used to work at AI. Any chance its the same porting process they are doing there? I plan on calling all these guys you reccomended, but just have been so damn busy. But a little heads up going into the call, would be helpful. SS RRR, do you have a contact you worked with at LPE?
Old 08-13-2018, 03:33 PM
Village Troll

I don't. I bought the heads in 1997.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
^^^ I thought I warned you they would be busy, and also LTx stuff is very low on their list of priorities. Alot of the controversy about LE came from quality control and underperforming 7combinations. Some did well, others were shoddy. Almost seemed to be a crap shoot with them. The arguments stemmed from those monetarily and emotionally vested in LE's products. I've seen these complaints dating back to the mid 2000's.
I agree with Puck as far as any of them will do for 500hp. Don't forget LPE, either. I've had two combinations using their heads that hit just north of 500hp, but like AI, they aren't keen on LT components anymore. I have no idea if their pricing is competitive either. I'd also suggest Gallant Technical Performance, but they seem to have fallen off the face of the earth.
IMO, if they sell a product and service, the priority should be the same....just because it’s LTX stuff shouldn’t matter, if they’re not interested in doing that work, don’t offer it anymore. I’m not trying to start something here, just saying is all...lol

Last edited by PARMY; 08-13-2018 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Because
Old 08-13-2018, 05:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

As far as I know Brian Tooley was at TEA (was he the founder??) and left a few years ago and started another company which bears his name. TEA did port stock LT1 heads and LT1 Trickflows. The price was right and they performed but were not very popular as LE and AI get all the hype around here.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR

Did you use the same cam with those heads? If so, what kind of gains did you experience?
The car actually is just getting finished. Had a guy do it because I was busy building a different car. Car got AFR’s, ported eddy intake, ewp, a/c delete, abs Delete, McLeod twin disk, fuel pump rewire, tubular upper and lower control arms, k-member, canton oil pan, welded sub frame connectors and a monoblade TB. Will find out shortly how much of a difference this all made.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:17 PM
Village Troll

Am very curious to know.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/market/1904359
Old 08-14-2018, 09:50 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I always thought that if I ever decided to have my heads ported I would send them to AI. I guess it will be a bit disappointing if that's no longer an option. Having said that, the older I get I'm starting to think I might be satisfied with whatever performance gains I'm getting from a CAI, Headers, Exhaust, Springs & Shocks.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:38 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

If your heads were not completely destroyed any head porting shop that has a CMM/CNC machine should be able to copy the porting job of your current heads into another set of castings.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BTC
I always thought that if I ever decided to have my heads ported I would send them to AI. I guess it will be a bit disappointing if that's no longer an option. Having said that, the older I get I'm starting to think I might be satisfied with whatever performance gains I'm getting from a CAI, Headers, Exhaust, Springs & Shocks.
Yea i second that. saddening to read all this in hopes to keep an LT1, options are getting very slim apparently.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

From AI's home page- no old school LTx until end of summer. Just Direct Injection new generation LTx work until then. Note that some shops mentioned near the bottom may have stock on hand...

News and Updates:

Summer 2018
We are fortunate to be extremely busy. As many of you guys know from the long responses I've often sent out, I tend to enjoy talking with everyone. However, I have less time to be in the office lately. Email responses will often be delayed. In order to keep the backlog of work from getting too long, we're making a few changes for the time being to help us keep up. Thank you guys so much for working with us, and keeping us so busy over the years!
  • Current Backlog for most types of LSx & DI LT-X CNC work is 1-2 months
  • Only LSx & DI LT-X jobs for now. Run of old school LT likely end of Summer.
  • Only doing full CNC porting jobs - no Performance Rebuilds
  • No one-off cams - we will keep a few popular grinds on hand

• If you know you want CNC work, you are welcome to get your heads inbound & shoot us an email at sales@advancedinduction.com with info on what you're sending in, your project, goals, tracking #'s, your return shipping address, etc. With your heads in hand we can then get them in line for work, and invoice you once we have a chance to inspect them during prep for CNC work. If you have blown up, modified, or damaged cores, please wait until we can respond via email.

Please be sure the name you use in your email is written on the box & put a note inside with your name, email, etc!

Check out the Packing Tips before sending in heads.

Keep in mind, some of our shops / builders like Race Proven Motorsports, heintzracing@gmail.com, PCM of NC, Complete Street Performance, etc. often have heads already available or currently in process. If you are working with an engine builder or shop, we're happy to do what we can to coordinate schedules with them. We are always looking for competent and trustworthy installers we can send customers to for a turnkey experience.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:26 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Personally, I've had the most (and consistent) success with Advanced Induction and AFR heads (their competition ported program) on my many combinations over the years.

If anyone is interested, I am getting ready to sell a very nice set of low mile, AI 215cc Trickflow heads along with the matching AI ported LT1 intake manifold. Great deal, no wait Drop me a PM if interested.