LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Coolant leak with Procharger Bracket

Old 03-15-2018, 08:11 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Coolant leak with Procharger Bracket

Hey guys. Just installed my Procharger and bracket about a month ago. Haven’t had a chance to get the car running yet but yesterday I went to work on the car and noticed a small small wet spot under the car. Determined it was coolant and appears to either be coming from the top pipe hose on the drivers side and possibly the bolt for the bracket that goes through the water pump location. I put some silicone on it, maybe not the proper thread sealant. Anyways to fix this bolt from leaking, do I need to remove all the coolant or just some of it maybe? I really don’t feel like taking all the coolant out but if it’s best then I’ll do what I have too.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Silicone is not the proper thread sealant. Were I in your shoes, I'd pull the entire thing off, pull out all the bolts you used silicone on, clean them, chase the threads in the block, flush the block out, and reassemble using the correct sealant and torque.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:39 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

eh, I wouldn't go that far. Silicone for w/p bolt threads works fine. I am not sure what is meant by the "top pipe/drivers side...."
I believe the two most bottom water pump bolts are the only ones which tap into water jackets. If you didn't put thread sealant on them then they will leak. I'd take the bottom bolts off, use sealant and then run through a torque sequence on all bolts to whatever torque value is recommended. You will have to drain the block or you will get a mess of coolant when you take the bottom bolts out (if that's what bolt holds the bracket).
Old 03-15-2018, 02:24 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SS RRR
eh, I wouldn't go that far. Silicone for w/p bolt threads works fine. I am not sure what is meant by the "top pipe/drivers side...."
I believe the two most bottom water pump bolts are the only ones which tap into water jackets. If you didn't put thread sealant on them then they will leak. I'd take the bottom bolts off, use sealant and then run through a torque sequence on all bolts to whatever torque value is recommended. You will have to drain the block or you will get a mess of coolant when you take the bottom bolts out (if that's what bolt holds the bracket).
I did silicone it but maybe it wasn’t enough or wasn’t 100% dry. The top coolant hose on the drivers side that goes from the radiator to the water pump.

It is the bottom bolt on the water pump that I removed. Guess I’ll dry the coolant and see what I can find out.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:45 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Good idea with drying everything out to try and pinpoint it. Doesn't take much sealant on the bolt threads.

Search this Thread