LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Removing knock sensor bolt

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 06:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removing knock sensor bolt

Just keeps getting better..

tried to remove the knock sensor. It started spinning within itself (really that is the worst design of all time). So I brought out the vice grips. It's coming.. almost... nope. Just broke the sensor off the bolt. So now just the bolt is in there.

applied some PB and going to reapply tomorrow. Then going to try vice grips on the bolt saturday morning. Any better ideas? There's absolutely no room to get a drill in there at that angle.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Try heat if you can get in there without burning up other stuff. Maybe just a HH cylinder of MAP or propane to heat around the bolt

If you can't get heat in there than PB let it sit overnight and vice grips

The KS goes into a water jacket so when you do get it out....coolant will come pouring out
Old 03-22-2018, 07:45 PM
TECH Regular

I was thinking about employing my trusty map torch. I've taken so much out of the bay that there's really nothing there to worry about burning

Originally Posted by ******

The KS goes into a water jacket so when you do get it out....coolant will come pouring out
Ideally.. haha. Seems like this motor is doing everything in its power to keep me from draining it.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Sadly, if it has been in there a long time (and most have), you are going to destroy it during removal.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just buy a new valley cover and be done with it.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by qweedqwag
Just buy a new valley cover and be done with it.
This is a LT1...
Old 03-23-2018, 03:50 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by shbox
Sadly, if it has been in there a long time (and most have), you are going to destroy it during removal.
it's destroyed. All that's left is the threaded bolt. Are you saying I'm going to have to drill it out?

my other idea is to crank a nut on there until it gets to the block and get it real snug. Theory being that the nut may push against the block hard enough to to apply the pressure needed on the rod to just break up whatever crud us holding it on. Then apply vice grips to rod to spin it.

orrr.. could I put two nuts on there, tighten them together real tight so they apply pressure against the threads and keep each other from spinning. Then use the inside nut as my method of turning the threaded rod out.

Last edited by nodnarb481; 03-23-2018 at 03:56 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Heat and jam nut (if you have enough threads).
Old 03-23-2018, 08:26 AM
TECH Regular

There are enough threads and I've got enough wrenches that I'm taking a stab at that. Its soaking in PB. I'm going to hit the block with some heat Saturday morning. And then I'm going to give it a shot with the two-nut method. If that doesn't work, I'll have to resort to some more extreme measures.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

For stubborn bolts or as in your case, a lot of time it helps to go the opposite direction meaning try tightening it just to see if it moves, then start backing it out and back in over and over, this seem to kinda make its own threads sort of say and helps in the removal, I have done this several times and has always worked especially on lug nuts. I dont remember if there is room but a thread knocker helps also.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:27 PM
TECH Regular

Got it out. Acetone, ATF, and patience. Let it soak for a couple hours while we cleaned up the block. Flat vice grips did the job eventually. That mix of acetone and atf made a night and day difference.

I also met this guy at sears hardware who was just a total brain. He built me this rig to try to get it out that was just genius. I ultimately didn't get to use it because of how I broke the sensor off. But it really was somethin else. When I get to a computer, I'll post up some pics and an explanation of it.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Acetone and ATF?? Do explain this method...
Old 03-26-2018, 06:41 AM
TECH Regular

This was taken from another forum. Did some reading around. I applied PB blaster for several days and got nowhere with it. Then Saturday morning, I mixed some acetone and ATF in a little oil can with a nozzle and gave it some sprays. We let it sit while cleaning head gasket off the block. Grabbed it with the vice grips, same as I was before, and it slipped right out.

Some corners of the internet call bogus. I'm no chemist, myself. But from my experience, it seems to work.
Attached Thumbnails Removing knock sensor bolt-capture.jpg