LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil seepage from head gasket? + pushrods outer layer getting shaved

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 09:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

well clearly that PR is "wearing" against that guide plate. Not familiar with Smith Bros.. PR

If that is the only PR affected you can buy just 1 and replace.

or just buy a new set either Comp or TF

Does the RR of the affected valve of this PR line up L-R (centered) on the valve tip?
Old 04-10-2018, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

It was centered.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Pushrod guideplates on TFS heads are slightly adjustable. You can loosen the studs and there is a tick of play around the stud.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I gritted my teeth and removed the drivers side head. My plan was to drain only that side of the block but my drain plug is something stupid. I couldn't get a bit fully into the plug because of the angle, the bit was just stripping the plug. Ended up removing the front lower head bolt to drain the coolant. No obvious damage or oil anywhere on the head, gasket, or block, so I don't know where the seepage was coming from. My head bolts were pretty gooped up with sealant and grease, is there such a thing as too much? Could that have been seeping through? Also I noticed cylinder #3 exhaust and #5 intake pushrods were getting chewed up too. I can pretty much guarantee it's happening on the passenger side too.

Old 04-11-2018, 05:29 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

You need chromoly PR’s and isky ajustable guide plates. Unless you’ve wiped the block deck, you should be able to see traces of on the edge where it was leaking down. This time when you do your head bolts, clean them off thoroughly. Only use sealant on the bolts which tap into water jackets. Coat the threads of those bolts which do not go through with oil VERY lightly. You do not want them to hydrolock.

Last edited by SS RRR; 04-11-2018 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SS RRR
You need chromoly PR’s and isky ajustable guide plates. .
^^^^^this
Adosyo...IDK if the TF heads are like the GM AL ones in terms of how RR line up on valve stem tip using "one piece" guide plates but I and many others find the ISKY 2 piece (adjustable) allows individual alignment of each RR/valve tip vs 2 (int/exh) to get the RR tip to be dead nuts centered on the valve tip

IDK why your PR are wearing whatever outer coating they have on them...but not normal. The nicks in the PR though are more concerning. You should buy new Chromalloy ones

I will assume you are using NSA RR with guide plates..?

Your head gasket pic...can't really see in detail if there were any small signs of where it may have leaked...assuming leak source is between block & head...

Lay a good flat edge across the head and block and hold it solid while you run a small flashlight on the backside of it & head where they meat and look for ANY variation of lighting coming through that. ....gonna have a hard time getting any head gasket to seal if the head or block is not 100% flat..This is not machine shop caliber measuring but should reveal something
Old 04-13-2018, 07:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

You need chromoly PR’s and isky ajustable guide plates. Unless you’ve wiped the block deck, you should be able to see traces of on the edge where it was leaking down. This time when you do your head bolts, clean them off thoroughly. Only use sealant on the bolts which tap into water jackets. Coat the threads of those bolts which do not go through with oil VERY lightly. You do not want them to hydrolock.
Originally Posted by ******
^^^^^this
Adosyo...IDK if the TF heads are like the GM AL ones in terms of how RR line up on valve stem tip using "one piece" guide plates but I and many others find the ISKY 2 piece (adjustable) allows individual alignment of each RR/valve tip vs 2 (int/exh) to get the RR tip to be dead nuts centered on the valve tip

IDK why your PR are wearing whatever outer coating they have on them...but not normal. The nicks in the PR though are more concerning. You should buy new Chromalloy ones

I will assume you are using NSA RR with guide plates..?

Your head gasket pic...can't really see in detail if there were any small signs of where it may have leaked...assuming leak source is between block & head...

Lay a good flat edge across the head and block and hold it solid while you run a small flashlight on the backside of it & head where they meat and look for ANY variation of lighting coming through that. ....gonna have a hard time getting any head gasket to seal if the head or block is not 100% flat..This is not machine shop caliber measuring but should reveal something
Just got the head back on, went a little smoother this time. Took me a while to figure out what can clean old lube off the bolts. Finally tried good ol' WD40 and it ran the lube right off. So after WD40 and a metal brush, the bolts and washers look like new.

I'll look into the ISKY guide plates. I'm currently using Trick Flow guide plates and non SA rockers. I found out the company that makes my pushrods (Smith Brothers) is located 20 minutes away from me here in Oregon so I've already contacted them and will get an appropriate new set. This whole pushrod situation has me a little frustrated. I sent my pics to Golen, Lloyd, and Smith Brothers and they all say they aren't meant for use with guide plates. However these are the original pushrods that Golen installed in my long block with guide plates! I don't get why they were used in the first place. To his credit, they lasted for 50K miles with the original heads and while there was obvious wear marks on the areas that moved through the guide plates, they weren't damaged like they are now with these new heads.

As far as coating the bolts with sealant, I coated all of them. Glad I did too, in my last thread I mentioned how the top 4 bolt holes don't bore through into coolant. Well, I took a closer look and found that one of them did have a pinhole opening. So thanks to those who convinced me to seal all bolts in the last thread! First pic shows a sealed bolt hole, second shows the bolt hole with a small opening.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Weird Golen installed non Chromalloy PR on NSA with guide plates...They say "why"?

It likely no problem given the minimal scuffing on the PR. The TF guide plates otherwise would be fine if they have been on for 50k mi
Old 04-13-2018, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ******
Weird Golen installed non Chromalloy PR on NSA with guide plates...They say "why"?

It likely no problem given the minimal scuffing on the PR. The TF guide plates otherwise would be fine if they have been on for 50k mi
They didn't volunteer that info and I didn't ask.

I picked up the new ones today from Smith Bros. They had them ready 30 minutes after our phone call, $7.95 per PR. I asked if the guide plates will be a problem since they all of a sudden were for the last set of PR's and they said no. I figure I'll check after a few hundred miles just to make sure.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I finally removed all the passenger side pushrods and they all looked good except for cyl #2 intake side. This is easily the worst one.

I'm changing the oil for a 3rd time after the first heat cycle. There's probably plenty of metal shavings floating around in there.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:05 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, that is a serious chunk!
Old 04-16-2018, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Viper
Wow, that is a serious chunk!
That's what I'm saying! Even with the new hardened pushrods, isn't the fact that so much was shaved away mean that there's some sort of misalignment? Or is this really no big deal for the new pushrods?
Old 04-16-2018, 09:49 AM
Village Troll

My first impression is those PR's were not really hardened. Do you know what part of the guide plates all this wear happened? One of the sides of the guide plate or more towards the valve? Do you know what your sweep looks like on the valve tips? You need to find this out before running the engine for any long period of time, you may face excessive valve guide wear.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

My first impression is those PR's were not really hardened. Do you know what part of the guide plates all this wear happened? One of the sides of the guide plate or more towards the valve? Do you know what your sweep looks like on the valve tips? You need to find this out before running the engine for any long period of time, you may face excessive valve guide wear.
Looks like the wear was happening on the bottom of the guide plates closest to the valve/ rocker stud. I don't know what my sweep looks like, I'll have to search how to check that.

Went to start it again and immediately heard knocking. Sounded like it was coming from the passenger side. Sounded like a loose rocker arm but when I took the valve cover off, I saw #2 intake pushrod had popped off the lifter. This is the same pushrod that got chewed up the worst in post #30. The guy at Smith Bros. said the pushrod should be tight against the guide plate but I think I'm gonna have to loosen the stud on #2 and see if I can adjust it back a little.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Success! It took all day but the valve train sounds like grandma's sewing machine again. I actually tried fitting my old Manley guide plates on there for s&g's because the guide space is much deeper than the Trick Flow guide plates but turns out it was too deep. It created such an angle on the pushrod that the pushrod became too short to reach the rocker. Instead, i used my foot long ratchet extension to wedge the guide plate down against the head as much as possible and tightened the studs there. I'm debating on doing the same thing for cylinders 3 and 5 since they were the next worse off, although not even close to as bad as cylinder 2. Gonna drive it as much as possible the next few days before my dyno appointment on Monday!
Old 04-19-2018, 09:27 AM
Village Troll

You STILL need to check your valve sweep. It is very easy to do. Do it for all valve tips before running the engine for any length of time.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you talking about using marker on the valves and then turning the engine over to see where the rockers rub it away?
Old 04-19-2018, 05:14 PM
Village Troll

Indedilly do, neighboroonie!
Old 04-19-2018, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic