LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lost 2nd, but 4th is great

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 08:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost 2nd, but 4th is great

1994 Cadillac Fleetwood with just under 170k on engine and transmission (LT1 + 4L60E). I was out driving with my scanner hooked up to see if I had resolved an issue with knock retard timing under various loads. I wanted to test hard acceleration from a stop to make sure it wouldn't bog down. When I gave it throttle, while it may have been too much, it broke lose for about 20ft (probably exaggerating). Traction was not enabled because the scanner was hooked up (not sure why it disabled it, but it did). After that, it felt like I was missing a gear because the car would rev out well beyond normal amounts and wouldn't shift until around 20-30 mph after letting off the throttle some.

Using the scanner, I found out that even though the transmission was commanding 2nd, it would not shift until it commanded 3rd. 4th worked just fine. That was a few days ago. I just took it back out today and manually shifted it through the scanner. It felt like I had 2nd maybe 2/10 times, but I'm not 100% so I can assume I never got 2nd. Commanding 3rd and 4th were great with no issues. From a stop, I commanded it into each gear and then gave it throttle to make the car move. 1st was fine, 2nd felt exactly like 1st, 3rd was sluggish, of course, and 4th of even more sluggish.

I don't think this is a band issue (I pray and hope it isn't). I never had slipping gears before and 4th works excellent. Even when commanding 4th from a stop and giving it gas, I felt no slipping. While it does struggle to move the car, the power was consistent. I also tried pushing against the servo cap to see if it had excessive play. I used the handle for my jack and put it against the servo and the muffle/cat and pushed against it fairly hard. I got no play whatsoever. Not to say the cap was not "seized," but I feel confident the amount of force I put against it would have moved it. No codes show up on the car at all. I feel like this could be a shift solenoid issue or a leaking servo.

Any thoughts? Thanks.