LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

cracking in the valve tip?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 09:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cracking in the valve tip?

Has anyone else seen this im tearing the motor down for my car reworking everything changing the springs the retainers the locks getting ready to start reassembly cleaning port and polish and lapping out the valves almost all of my exhaust valves have a crack in the tip top of the valve where the rocker arms meet about an 1/8 inch down the stem well above the lock grove almost as if another metal was heated and fused to the top of the valve to maybe put a harder metal above the softer valve material to give a little endurance to the life of the valve from the beating they take from the rocker arms, has anyone else seen this? i have not noticed any issues with the intake im guessing COOLER? DIFFERENT MATERIAL? only on the exhaust side and im wondering is this something that is being caused by an underlying issue or just stressed out valves im ordering new exhaust valves but want to try to get my engine on the right track the first time not after it drops a valve on a new engine.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:37 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Daves03
COOLER? DIFFERENT MATERIAL? only on the exhaust side and im wondering is this something that is being caused by an underlying issue or just stressed out valves im ordering new exhaust valves but want to try to get my engine on the right track the first time not after it drops a valve on a new engine.
More than likely, yes they do have a hardened tip welded on. What kind of valves are they?