LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

optispark delete questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default optispark delete questions

This is it. iam done with the optispark system on this car. it is just plain crap..... sorry if some of you think differently but this setup is just plain ridiculous. Now I've read about converting these over to coil over plug but still unsure what brand is the best and what all is needed. pricing really isnt a problem as ive seen most of these kits are under a 1000. Just so you have the spec on my car its a 1994 z28 lt1. I would really like just a all in one kit like the delteq but not really sure if this is the best way to go...
Old 02-03-2016, 12:47 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

What kind of optisparks have you been running?
Old 02-03-2016, 02:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BTC
What kind of optisparks have you been running?

I was running an msd then this happened for a second time
Old 02-03-2016, 02:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jigga61
This is it. iam done with the optispark system on this car. it is just plain crap..... sorry if some of you think differently but this setup is just plain ridiculous. Now I've read about converting these over to coil over plug but still unsure what brand is the best and what all is needed. pricing really isnt a problem as ive seen most of these kits are under a 1000. Just so you have the spec on my car its a 1994 z28 lt1. I would really like just a all in one kit like the delteq but not really sure if this is the best way to go...
Delteq still uses the opti..... 24x deletes the opti and uses the PCM from an LS. There's new one that does the same, but is a total bolt on. But I forget the brand.

Unless you're pushing more than 7k rpm, anything you do to delete the opti will grant you no benefits and only cost you more.

Use a Delphi or AC Delco Opti, replace the timing cover seals, seal up the opti with silicone, use loctite on the rotor screws, and make sure the vacuum lines are in the right spot. You won't have issues for 100k miles.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hrcslam
Delteq still uses the opti..... 24x deletes the opti and uses the PCM from an LS. There's new one that does the same, but is a total bolt on. But I forget the brand.

Unless you're pushing more than 7k rpm, anything you do to delete the opti will grant you no benefits and only cost you more.

Use a Delphi or AC Delco Opti, replace the timing cover seals, seal up the opti with silicone, use loctite on the rotor screws, and make sure the vacuum lines are in the right spot. You won't have issues for 100k miles.
I plan on swapping motors out in the near future so I guess sticking with the optispark for now isn't totally bad. However I do plan on once I put something different in the car using the lt1 in an s10 or miata build. How well do these optisparks hold up to driving a camaro like it should be driven
Old 02-03-2016, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I plan on swapping motors out in the near future so I guess sticking with the optispark for now isn't totally bad. However I do plan on once I put something different in the car using the lt1 in an s10 or miata build. How well do these optisparks hold up to driving a camaro like it should be driven
5 things kill an opti; improper installation, wear, ozone, oil, and water.

Its location doesn't help with the last two. But new timing cover seals and some rtv does help a lot. Also the water pump weep hole mod helps too.

Nothing can be done about the first one, but properly installed that lasts a long time.

Ozone is addressed by using the stock coil and a properly installed vent system. Make sure the fresh air enters the back of the unit and the vacuum source is on the cover.

Last edited by hrcslam; 02-03-2016 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:16 PM
Teching In

i didnt install the last one and when i pulled it apart this time the venting system was not hooked up right.... I wonder if that had something to do with it along with the bolts backing out. Thanks for the advice i might just go ahead and get an acdelco one and try that for now. and maybe look into converting the motor over to coil over plug in the future but for now this will have to do thanks!
Old 02-04-2016, 06:50 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

That opti looks like it's seen better days.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i didnt install the last one and when i pulled it apart this time the venting system was not hooked up right.... I wonder if that had something to do with it along with the bolts backing out. Thanks for the advice i might just go ahead and get an acdelco one and try that for now. and maybe look into converting the motor over to coil over plug in the future but for now this will have to do thanks!
Just get MSD to rebuild it.....even if it's out of warranty they will either rebuild it or send you a brand new one for around $70. Hook up the vent lines properly this time like it's supposed to be LOL, it only takes 10 mins or so to do that so somebody was lazy....you can't blame MSD when it fails and it wasn't installed correctly. Locktite the bolts that backed out and make sure it's sealed good.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Doesn't sound like it was the opti's fault at all. Better get the venting system sorted out. If it happened to have full vacuum to it, the opti will implode.

As said, MSD will rebuild it for less than you can buy another good opti.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

OP

we just see pics you post over internet.......so it "looks" like the rotor had serious contact with the cap. Two things can cause this.

1. the cam dowel pin is to long
2. to much vacuum "sucking" in the cap to contact rotor

#1 would be if the car has a aftermarket cam and dowel pin is to long
#2 would be a vent harness hooked up without the blue/white restrictor valves

While MSD Optis have shown to be problematic, sometimes right out of the box...ANY Opti installed wrong or has a non functioning proper vent harness, gets water or oil contamination will shiat itself

In your case something is causing serious rotor to cap contact.

MSD does rebuild Optis. Back when I sent my FU right out of the box MSD that took me over a year to pin down (why because it was a new fing opti so I thought it was good....NOT). MSD said my 1 yr warranty had expired and they would rebuild it for $100. They sent a complete new unit which I promptly sold.

Get a "new" Delphi Opti or a AC Delco but they will be reman now. No "new" AC Delcos anymore
Old 02-09-2016, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a viable option built, wating for testing and proof of concept. A friend of mine has a second design that is also wating testing and proof of concept. These both will allow you to switch over to a 411. 4x or 24x CNP, BLA BLA BLA. Should be ready for bata,(field) testing within 6 months. .
Old 07-03-2018, 09:49 PM

Default success

Originally Posted by Tinbender59
I have a viable option built, wating for testing and proof of concept. A friend of mine has a second design that is also wating testing and proof of concept. These both will allow you to switch over to a 411. 4x or 24x CNP, BLA BLA BLA. Should be ready for bata,(field) testing within 6 months. .
How did the feasibility test work out. I am very curios of the outcome.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was running an msd then this happened for a second time

well thanks for the picture my worst nightmare....... Not going to sleep tonight ...... Gm
Old 07-04-2018, 04:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Lightbulb

I know exactly how you feel. As a part of trying to get my engine diagnosed by a mechanic/engine builder, I had to replace my Napa remaned Optispark with one I was assured was built to GM specification. Well, that optispark tore the rotor apart and dug into the cap so to save money I cannibalized my Napa cap and rotor so for now this combo works but I am so tired of playing games with the optispark because the damn remans are built like crap, AND the perforated metal disk is not installed correctly on the remans, it must be on the bottom, not on top! For now, I can't afford a $1000 plus conversion although when I am out of college and depending upon what happens to my engine after then, I do intend to convert to coil over ignition. From what I understand the LTCC and Deltec systems require the optispark for cam position. Another system I found on another forum totally deletes the optispark entirely and uses a new timing cover for the cam position sensor. The only thing though, you need to use an LS computer.

The system is the EFI 24x LT1/LT4 from EFI Connection LLC. This system does away with the optispark while offering a new timing cover that can allow you to use your cam driven water pump, which I plan on keeping for less parasitic drain.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Phoenix'97
I know exactly how you feel. As a part of trying to get my engine diagnosed by a mechanic/engine builder, I had to replace my Napa remaned Optispark with one I was assured was built to GM specification. Well, that optispark tore the rotor apart and dug into the cap so to save money I cannibalized my Napa cap and rotor so for now this combo works but I am so tired of playing games with the optispark because the damn remans are built like crap, AND the perforated metal disk is not installed correctly on the remans, it must be on the bottom, not on top! For now, I can't afford a $1000 plus conversion although when I am out of college and depending upon what happens to my engine after then, I do intend to convert to coil over ignition. From what I understand the LTCC and Deltec systems require the optispark for cam position. Another system I found on another forum totally deletes the optispark entirely and uses a new timing cover for the cam position sensor. The only thing though, you need to use an LS computer.

The system is the EFI 24x LT1/LT4 from EFI Connection LLC. This system does away with the optispark while offering a new timing cover that can allow you to use your cam driven water pump, which I plan on keeping for less parasitic drain.
Pssst…..You do realize this is a 2 year-old thread and the guy you responded to hasn't been on the for since he posted......over 2 years ago.

Jus' sayin'....

KW
Old 07-07-2018, 11:52 AM

Yes, I do realize this is old. But I am still looking for a viable solution that is not $2200 for my $3500 car. Do you have any useful information? Any direction or help would be much appreciated.
thank you
Old 07-09-2018, 07:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd Green
But I am still looking for a viable solution that is not $2200 for my $3500 car.
maaaaaan, youre not gonna get far thinking like that. cant come at some cars like a zero sum game, especially F-bodies.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:29 AM
Launching!

This is it. iam done with the optispark system on this car. it is just plain crap..... sorry if some of you think differently but this setup is just plain ridiculous.

How well do these optisparks hold up to driving a camaro like it should be driven

Typical Opti hater. First he condemns the opti as being a POS then goes on to ask how well they hold up... Clearly he knows nothing about the Opti. Probably his first one in addition to installing the opti incorrectly as he goes on to say the vacuum lines were hooked up wrong.

Also yes I see this thread is old but I didn't resurrect it personally and I hate when ppl blame the opti for THEIR mistakes. I have owned multiple LT1/L99 powered vehicles and NOT ONE has had an opti related problem/failure.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same here, I have owned 4 and no opti issues yet.

Quick Reply: optispark delete questions