LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Valvetrain noise concern

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 11:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Valvetrain noise concern

I just finished my 383 lt1 build and have now put on about 900 miles on it (brand new forged block). All the parts on my build have broken in and now im hearing a tick from under the valve covers.. I know its from the rockers being a little loose from me setting the valve lash. I am running 1.6 rr's with poly locks. I am wondering if the ticking noise from the rockers being slightly loose is dangerous too my motor. My other cam only build sounds the same way. I am running Canton valve covers and the are the biggest PITA to install so id very much rather not take them off. lmk what you guys think. Thanks
Old 08-08-2018, 01:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

assuming you adjusted the valves correctly they should not need re-adjusting

RR do make a "sewing machine" sound. If you have one distinguishable "tick" "maybe" that valve needs re-adjusting

Use a mechanics stethoscope along VC and each exhaust port to see if one cyl/valve makes more/different noise than the others

Also a exhaust leak can also make a "tick" sound
Old 08-08-2018, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

With my LT1's in the past I found that the only way to properly adjust the rockers was with the engine running. I would set them properly before start up but they always needed to be readjusted while running for best results, in my case at least.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ******
assuming you adjusted the valves correctly they should not need re-adjusting

RR do make a "sewing machine" sound. If you have one distinguishable "tick" "maybe" that valve needs re-adjusting

Use a mechanics stethoscope along VC and each exhaust port to see if one cyl/valve makes more/different noise than the others

Also a exhaust leak can also make a "tick" sound
If anything it sounds more like a sewing machine than an actual tick.. I didn't think of saying that when I worded it. It isn't the headers I know that for sure. I think it should be fine but I just wanted to see if anyone thought otherwise..
Old 08-08-2018, 03:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah it is odd that exploding wallet $ needle bearing trunnion w/roller tip RR will make more "noise" than a stamped piece of metal riding on a valve tip and PR and pivoting on a rounded fulcrum...but they do make a "noise"...often referred to as a "sewing machine" type of sound

Also for people using the stock valve covers, you need to cut off part of the baffle inside the VC to clear the RR unless you use Crane Gold "narrow body (GMPP) 3/8 RR. Aftermarket VC should allow for more room and not require any trimming
Old 08-10-2018, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you rechecked the valves? After getting my top end done, I found out that I had accidentally messed up a single rocker's adjustment, and it was making a faint clacking sound. All it took was pulling off the VCs and a bit of jiggling on the rockers to find it.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 94TAisfast
Have you rechecked the valves? After getting my top end done, I found out that I had accidentally messed up a single rocker's adjustment, and it was making a faint clacking sound. All it took was pulling off the VCs and a bit of jiggling on the rockers to find it.
good you found the lose rocker....with that said just "wiggling" a RR will not show if it is lose because of adjustment. Many will be lose because the oil bleeds from lifter when engine is just sitting. They pump back up once engine is started again.

If you "hear" what you think is a lose RR and can pin point it by listening with a stethoscope with engine running...then you need to re-lash that valve. Even after you lash it with the engine off...in a few minutes the lifter bleeds down some and the RR will be "lose"...normal. It will be good once engine starts
Old 08-10-2018, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was more of an "oops" case, granted. I turned the allen key down a bit by accident before tightening the nut. All of my rockers have some play, but that one was bouncing around like an ADD 6 year old after raiding his Halloween stash, and it wouldn't have any tension on it til the lifter was halfway out of the bore.