TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
Minnesota here. Who is tuning it ?
hi tech motorsports in elk river had it on the dyno
Old 08-24-2018, 04:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts

you are down minimally 50 HP/TQ. If the motor is mechanically sound and ignition and fuel systems working right and the cam was installed right.....that really only leaves the tune or the dyno itself is just way off.

Man for $150 you could get a mail order tune for the build. Would be very interesting if you then had more HP on a dyno with that tune...

Mustang dyno are known to show lower #'s...but your report says DynoJet which is regarded as the "better" one
Old 08-24-2018, 04:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ******
you are down minimally 50 HP/TQ. If the motor is mechanically sound and ignition and fuel systems working right and the cam was installed right.....that really only leaves the tune or the dyno itself is just way off.

Man for $150 you could get a mail order tune for the build. Would be very interesting if you then had more HP on a dyno with that tune...

Mustang dyno are known to show lower #'s...but your report says DynoJet which is regarded as the "better" one
i do have two computers . Both are from 95 LT1s I could maybe get one with a mail order tune and the other with the dyno tune and dyno the car with the mail order tune and see. But still I could be something in my valvetrain.. I'm changing my lifters because there is a possibility that my lifters are collapsing at higher rpms from not enough oil passing through them.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:54 PM
TECH Veteran

well your lifters could need replacing but if they were not pumping oil or holding pressure the car would really be missing and stumbling.

valve springs that are worn or just not up to the cam can have a feeling of just power stopped aka "nosing over" at 5k ish rpm. While the spec spring for the XFI is the 918 bee hive...maybe they are just not working as they should.

If doing new springs consider the Lunati kit. I have them with my XFI cam
Old 08-24-2018, 05:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

well your lifters could need replacing but if they were not pumping oil or holding pressure the car would really be missing and stumbling.

valve springs that are worn or just not up to the cam can have a feeling of just power stopped aka "nosing over" at 5k ish rpm. While the spec spring for the XFI is the 918 bee hive...maybe they are just not working as they should.

If doing new springs consider the Lunati kit. I have them with my XFI cam
yeah I am running the 918s and they only have 2k miles on them.. and the lifters could be the problem here but it's hard to say because I can't feel my motor stumbling or misfiring it just feels like it's going smoothly but in reality .. all the potential power is just falling like in the graph lol.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:17 PM
TECH Veteran

at 2k mi the 918's should be fine. If the heads did not have the spring pockets machined down than the 918's are installed short as stock spring height is 1.75x. So your coil bind is now shorter than spec then if the spring was installed at 1.800" as it should be. Your XFI has high lift. IDK if you are pushing to close to coil bind or not even if your springs are installed slightly short.

Either way just like worn out springs you would know at upper RPM's as the car would just nose over like it hit a 100 mph head wind

I assume the car runs like the dyno graph indicates...it just does not make any power above 5000-5200 rpm, right?
Old 08-24-2018, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

at 2k mi the 918's should be fine. If the heads did not have the spring pockets machined down than the 918's are installed short as stock spring height is 1.75x. So your coil bind is now shorter than spec then if the spring was installed at 1.800" as it should be. Your XFI has high lift. IDK if you are pushing to close to coil bind or not even if your springs are installed slightly short.

Either way just like worn out springs you would know at upper RPM's as the car would just nose over like it hit a 100 mph head wind

I assume the car runs like the dyno graph indicates...it just does not make any power above 5000-5200 rpm, right?
springs were installed at 138 @ 1.750 and open 340 @ 1.175 if that makes sense. So that being said.. my springs could be the culprit ? And yeah it does drive like that power comes on strong right away but then it pretty much ***** out on me as if the car was still stock..

Last edited by Bosshog; 08-24-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:23 PM
TECH Veteran

I doubt coil bind is a issue although the slightly tighter installed height isn't helping. Perfect valve spring performance greatly supports valve train optimum performance. All valve springs are a "wear" item, especially with cams and higher revs.

Given the 918's have a short life expectancy before breaking (read YMMV) you should consider the Lunatti kit. It would be plug & play at the 1.75x installed height and work well with the XFI lobes
Old 08-25-2018, 12:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

I doubt coil bind is a issue although the slightly tighter installed height isn't helping. Perfect valve spring performance greatly supports valve train optimum performance. All valve springs are a "wear" item, especially with cams and higher revs.

Given the 918's have a short life expectancy before breaking (read YMMV) you should consider the Lunatti kit. It would be plug & play at the 1.75x installed height and work well with the XFI lobes
Got a part number for the Lunati springs along with whatever retainers that would work with them? Thanks.. and im gonna end up changing both the springs,lifters, etc.. and see if the hp number jumps way up.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Suprised hi tech tuned it for you he didn’t wanna touch mine. Said if I brought it there and it was even barely close he was going to call it good and send me on my way. He said lt1 pcms are too unstable. I had mine done at TPIS.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Bosshog
Got a part number for the Lunati springs along with whatever retainers that would work with them? Thanks..

Kit comes with retainers, locks, locators and valve stem seals

Kit comes with retainers, locks, locators and valve stem seals
Old 08-25-2018, 09:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by transbird95
Suprised hi tech tuned it for you he didn’t wanna touch mine. Said if I brought it there and it was even barely close he was going to call it good and send me on my way. He said lt1 pcms are too unstable. I had mine done at TPIS.
….maybe a clue that shop does not have expertise in tuning the LT1 PCM
Old 08-25-2018, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by transbird95
Jesus, what a **** show.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:34 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

….maybe a clue that shop does not have expertise in tuning the LT1 PCM
Exactly. LT1 PCM’s are extremely stable. It’s just that they’re slow and take several minutes to tune in what it takes seconds to do with a LS PCM, and shops today either do not own and/or are not familiar with LT software and don’t have the time or patience to **** with it.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Maybe OP should get tuned either mail order or a shop more versed in LT1 tuning before replacing any parts...unless those parts are known problems.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 355 Likes on 246 Posts

Op you could try DB or Sharadon for tuning
Old 08-25-2018, 01:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
Op you could try DB or Sharadon for tuning
DB only tunes OBDII and I'm not familiar with Sharadon ?
Old 08-25-2018, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Even If my car was untuned I would still expect it to put down more than 308 lol something just isn't right obviously . I don't think it's the tune.. you can clearly see that it looks to be like I have valve float issues but I just am not 100% sure..
Old 08-25-2018, 01:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 355 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Bosshog

DB only tunes OBDII and I'm not familiar with Sharadon ?
I have not delt with sharadon for I have Carl at Cj Tunes do my car but it's another option and I know people like them. I do not know if they are OBDll only or not. They are in hugo.