LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

OPTI spark problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 08:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OPTI spark problem

97 trans am with a 94 lt1 in it.i switched everything over and I think I made a mistake.im getting a p1371 code and the car runs crappy.the OPTI is from the 94.i did not want to switch cams.i used the 97 OPTI harness.is their a difference? I have the 94 harness but did not compaire them.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason28
97 trans am with a 94 lt1 in it.i switched everything over and I think I made a mistake.im getting a p1371 code and the car runs crappy.the OPTI is from the 94.i did not want to switch cams.i used the 97 OPTI harness.is their a difference? I have the 94 harness but did not compaire them.
A 1997 Trans Am with a 1994 LT1 in it. So, you must have the non-vented spline drive optispark, huh? I have read it is very easy to throw off the timing on it given the spline drive set-up compared to the pin drive, however this is not your issue.

Very recently my optispark was throwing this code, although I was forced to swap on a NAPA cap and rotor after a private mechanic improperly installed the thing and it tore up a brand new and warrantied optispark. The car fired right up and ran fine but I was getting DTC codes P1371 and P0336. After being forced to install a new optispark to see if this would remedy my code problem the codes went away and the car actually runs BETTER!

Chances are, you need to put on a new optispark even though what you have may run fine! I couldn't pass inspection with the check engine light in New York State. Also, some other forums recommended you tug on the optispark harness while the engine was running to see if there was possibly a problem with the connectors and then they recommended visually inspecting the connectors to verify that they were not dirty or broken. If the harness is perfectly fine then it is your optispark. I actually went out of my way to purchase a GM NOS optispark harness but it didn't fix the problem so I had no choice but to buy another expensive optispark. I purchased mine from Petris Enterprises although I have to mention that Pantera EFI is a vendor on this forum and he offers them at a much better price. One member installed his optispark and it has given him no problems and thrown no codes. I leave this decision up to you and I hope my comment helps you.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

They are very different

Old 09-09-2018, 06:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the OPTI is from the 94.i did not want to switch cams.i used the 97 OPTI harness.is their a difference? I have the 94 harness but did not compaire them.

Originally Posted by AdsoYo
They are very different

I totally missed the part about using a vented 95-97 optispark harness on a non-vented 92-94 optispark, however how the heck would you make the mistake of not noticing that the harnesses are different? The 95-97 opti harness plug is too long for the non-vented 92-94, it may plug in but it won't connect at the top and on the other end trying to use a non-vented 92-94 opti harness plug on a vented 95-97 opti will result in merely clicking the plug in at the top but making no connection with the cam position sensor in the distributor so it won't run.

Jason28, you had to have eventually resorted to using the correct harness after very simple process of elimination. I won't judge you, Lord knows I have done stupid things on my car but now I am finally redeeming myself, especially for work that Firestone refuses to do on my car. In order for you to get this code you must be using the correct shorter plug harness for the non-vented opti, yes? If not and by a fluke your car runs with the vented opti harness, try swapping them and see if the code P1371 goes away and if it doesn't, chances are you have a bad opti...

Last edited by Phoenix'97; 09-09-2018 at 06:40 PM.