LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Engine knock - 96 Firebird Formula

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine knock - 96 Firebird Formula

I had a friend tell me my engine knock sounded like a loose rocker. It would only knock when you would take off or rev it to about 2500 to 3000 rpm but once you reach speed you couldn't hear it. I took off the valve covers and wiggled the rockers but they didn't have a lot of play. I wanted to check the rods for bends so I took them out cleaned them up and every looks good. I'm have trouble putting it back together though. I made sure to keep track of which rod and rocker came from where but when I'm trying to get zero lash its making the rod feel tight without the rocker bolt going down. I didn't cause any damage yet but can anyone tell me how to put my pushrods back in and tighten the rock back down?
Old 10-04-2018, 03:46 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

You need to be careful and pay close attention when you're adjusting valves. Here's a very helpful guide.

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#adjust_valves
Old 10-04-2018, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by SS RRR
You need to be careful and pay close attention when you're adjusting valves. Here's a very helpful guide.

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#adjust_valves
So from what I understand by doing the spin the push rod method I just keep tightening the rocker nut as I spin the pushrod with my other hand and stop soon as soon I feel resistance and then add the preload right?

Last edited by Cody Ayers; 10-04-2018 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Extra words
Old 10-04-2018, 04:20 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Don't spin the pushrod. It's too inconsistent. push/pull/wiggle pushrod up/down while tightening adjusting nut and stop at the very moment there is no more play. Just ensure you are on the base circle of the cam lobe when doing this.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Don't spin the pushrod. It's too inconsistent. push/pull/wiggle pushrod up/down while tightening adjusting nut and stop at the very moment there is no more play. Just ensure you are on the base circle of the cam lobe when doing this.
Appreciate the help, how do I make sure I'm on the base circle of the cam lobe? Do I just keep it in the the middle of the hole?

Last edited by Cody Ayers; 10-04-2018 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 10-04-2018, 05:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Cody Ayers
, how do I make sure I'm on the base circle of the cam lobe? Do I just keep it in the the middle of the hole?
Did you read "how to" from the link SS RRR posted??

Valve train adjustment is not rocket science.....but the motor sure can go "boom" if you FU the process.

You need to rotate the motor as described in the methods in the link so that the valve you are working on the cam is on the center of the base circle

If you have poly locks for the RR just tighten them with your fingers until there is no more Up/down movement of PR then add 3/4 turn of preload by tightening the poly lock then tighten the alan head while holding the poly lock in place
Old 10-04-2018, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Cody Ayers
So from what I understand by doing the spin the push rod method I just keep tightening the rocker nut as I spin the pushrod with my other hand and stop soon as soon I feel resistance and then add the preload right?
Just remember that if you go back and check the preload again. the push rod will be a little loose because the lifter plunger will pump down a little, Ive seen people keep adjusting the preload until they bottom out the lifter