LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

No rear breaks on my 96SS

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 05:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No rear breaks on my 96SS

Hello There !

Here is the story. I installed C5 Vette Front calipers on my 96SS and 2 years ago and installed stainless lines in the front and kept the stock rear breaks. During that time I pulled the rear calipers off painted them red. Installed slotted rear rotors as well. The calipers and hoses on the rear were all original. When I bleed the system I had no issues on the front. On the rear I could barely get the any movement of fluid or pedal movement when pumping and bleeding but after several attempts I was able to get clear fluid out. A few months ago when I took the car down to install the mods I decided to install stainless lines. I swapped the lines and the same issue was present. Very little bleeding on the rear. The next day i see a puddle of break fluid on the ground and i realized I had the incorrect washer gasket in there. Fixed that but now I'm unable to bleed the rear breaks completely. I when under the hood and disconnected the line from the Valve, Break Pressure modulator and that line is 100% dry. I wanted to take the unit off and open it to see if the gear driving the oil has come loose but I don't have the right wrenches to pull the other 2 lines and I just ordered them. Since that happened my car has the emergency BREAK light on. Does any one has any experience on this? Any ideas on the best way to power bleed the pressure module (after I see if the gear is loose) and then power bleed all the way to the rear?

Any advise will be welcome.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:34 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

More than likely your ABS module now has air in it. You can do it the backwoods way by using a Motive power bleeder, then take the car out and slam on the brakes a few times, or take your car to a shop and have them use a tool which actuates all the valves within the module to bleed it out. Also, quite possible your master cylinder needs to be taken off and bench bled.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A good OBD2 Scanner can actuate the ABS Module (bleed) for you. But, even if you have air in the ABS module, you should still get brake fluid to flow when pumping the brakes. Do you not have fluid flow from both rear brakes, or just one side? If just one side, then check the line from the splitter to that side (on the axle IIRC). If both, then start disconnecting the brake lines from the splitter forward until you find fluid flow.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hrcslam
A good OBD2 Scanner can actuate the ABS Module (bleed) for you. But, even if you have air in the ABS module, you should still get brake fluid to flow when pumping the brakes. Do you not have fluid flow from both rear brakes, or just one side? If just one side, then check the line from the splitter to that side (on the axle IIRC). If both, then start disconnecting the brake lines from the splitter forward until you find fluid flow.
I remove the single line at the pressure module under the hood that goes to the rear breaks and is bone dry. Any experience with anyone needing to open the module to check the gears?
Old 11-19-2018, 09:09 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

As stated, get yourself a power bleeder and try to bleed fluid through the module first, then your back brakes, do the stop test and see if your module actuates. If it were me, I'd just ditch the whole thing in place of a proportioning valve. We don't need no stinking ABS!
Old 11-19-2018, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 96SS_813
I remove the single line at the pressure module under the hood that goes to the rear breaks and is bone dry. Any experience with anyone needing to open the module to check the gears?
I'd disconnect both lines going from the master cylinder to the ABS module and make sure the fluid is getting to the ABS module first. If so, I'd replace the ABS module (a proportioning valve is a good idea like SS RRR said). If one of the lines from the master isn't feeding, check the master cylinder.