Notices
LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Confused By Catch Can Setup

 
Old 02-11-2019, 05:38 PM
  #1  
TECH Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
blk97z28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 1,772
Default Confused By Catch Can Setup

Going with Mighty Mouse Solutions but I'm confused...

Car will eventually be a 383 stroker with potential forced induction etc...

I'm confused by his draft can in the mild setup and his PVC can in the wild setup.

Maybe I'm a noob at the catch can but this is how I figured it, he states the PVC can is the one with all the bells and whistles and it can be used in stock configuration.....

Driver Side Intake Manifold PVC line to dirty (high side of the PVC / Draft Catch Can).

Lower Clean Side of PVC / Draft Catch Can to under the throttle body.

Just placing the catch can in loop of the regular system and if I ever deleted stock PVC system and used breathers this setup would work fine. I just want the end all be all best catch can to support my future goals, kinda buy it once and forget it. I know I'll eventually need bigger rubber lines and fittings but the can itself is where I'm confused.

PVC vs. Draft etc

Thanks In Advance!

Devin
blk97z28 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 08:36 PM
  #2  
TECH Regular
 
Phoenix'97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 423
Default

Originally Posted by blk97z28 View Post
Going with Mighty Mouse Solutions but I'm confused...

Car will eventually be a 383 stroker with potential forced induction etc...

I'm confused by his draft can in the mild setup and his PVC can in the wild setup.

Maybe I'm a noob at the catch can but this is how I figured it, he states the PVC can is the one with all the bells and whistles and it can be used in stock configuration.....

Driver Side Intake Manifold PVC line to dirty (high side of the PVC / Draft Catch Can).

Lower Clean Side of PVC / Draft Catch Can to under the throttle body.

Just placing the catch can in loop of the regular system and if I ever deleted stock PVC system and used breathers this setup would work fine. I just want the end all be all best catch can to support my future goals, kinda buy it once and forget it. I know I'll eventually need bigger rubber lines and fittings but the can itself is where I'm confused.

PVC vs. Draft etc

Thanks In Advance!

Devin
Go with the PCV, based on what I am reading on his site. As you already concluded, this catch can set-up allows for future expansion and can be used with your current PCV system.

How it gets hooked up is no different than my cheapo Jegs model, the line from the PCV valve goes to the catch can, any oil drips through the filter and the gases left over get sucked into the line in the intake just under the throttle body. You can't miss it!
Phoenix'97 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 08:45 PM
  #3  
Man-Crush Warning
iTrader: (1)
 
Shownomercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,572
Default

The draft style is basically a simpler way of doing it with no PCV setup. IE, single plane or non stock intake.

Mine gets vac source from filter prior to turbo and then pulls from one VC and I run a breather in the other. Works just fine, but, requires a filter to run it that way.
Shownomercy is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 10:42 PM
  #4  
Teching In
 
JimCT_9C1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Waterford, CT
Posts: 4
Default

I have spent some time looking at the various MM systems -
Draft can has no internal valve other than the breather vent.
PCV can takes the draft can and adds a PCV valve in the clean side outlet port.

Mild system puts a draft can between the factory PCV valve and manifold vacuum connection under the throttle body. Uses factory PCV valve, flowpath, and line sizes.
Wild system replumbs the system using a PCV can and removes the factory PCV valve. Clean side still goes to manifold under the throttle body. The flowpath to the can is different (now from valve cover) to allow a larger inlet hose to the can to handle higher crankcase pressures.

The draft can can also be set up as described for systems with no manifold connection.

Hope this helps -

Jim
JimCT_9C1 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 08:37 AM
  #5  
Village Troll
iTrader: (2)
 
SS RRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Jackstandican
Posts: 9,673
Default

Originally Posted by Shownomercy View Post
Works just fine, but...
".... periodically have to clean up the oil sputum all over the engine bay!"
SS RRR is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 09:28 AM
  #6  
Man-Crush Warning
iTrader: (1)
 
Shownomercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,572
Default

Originally Posted by SS RRR View Post
".... periodically have to clean up the oil sputum all over the engine bay!"
How do you figure?

Nothing is being pushed out into the engine bay.
Shownomercy is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 12:25 PM
  #7  
Village Troll
iTrader: (2)
 
SS RRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Jackstandican
Posts: 9,673
Default

Your breather emits nothing? Clean as a whistle? Spotless? Zero oil film anywhere even close to the breather bung??????

Besides, Richard's giving man-crush a rash of ****. Keep up with the times, cupcake!
SS RRR is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 01:34 PM
  #8  
Man-Crush Warning
iTrader: (1)
 
Shownomercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,572
Default

Originally Posted by SS RRR View Post
Your breather emits nothing? Clean as a whistle? Spotless? Zero oil film anywhere even close to the breather bung??????

Besides, Richard's giving man-crush a rash of ****. Keep up with the times, cupcake!
Breather is always under vac fool.
Shownomercy is offline  
Old 02-13-2019, 09:47 AM
  #9  
Village Troll
iTrader: (2)
 
SS RRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Jackstandican
Posts: 9,673
Default

Originally Posted by Shownomercy View Post
Breather is always under vac fool.
Except for that massive blow by from broken ring lands!
SS RRR is offline  
Old 02-13-2019, 01:07 PM
  #10  
Man-Crush Warning
iTrader: (1)
 
Shownomercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,572
Default

Originally Posted by SS RRR View Post
Except for that massive blow by from broken ring lands!
Their burnished.
Shownomercy is offline  
Old 02-14-2019, 08:49 AM
  #11  
Village Troll
iTrader: (2)
 
SS RRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Jackstandican
Posts: 9,673
Default

Boring. Why are you the way you are?
SS RRR is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: