LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Loss of power, overheating, starter not functioning.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Loss of power, overheating, starter not functioning.

So after what I believed to be a spun bearing happened, I let my car sit for the winter, but now that the weather is getting nice, the bug has bitten, and it's time to fix the car.

So far, I have two major issues, but only when the car gets overheated from running for a few minutes: it refuses to crank over, and it has absolutely no power. I got it up to temperature, took it for a drive around the block, and once I got to a straight bit, I rolled on the throttle to halfway. The car refused to accelerate, even in second gear. By the time that I got to my driveway, the car would not even climb into my driveway in reverse. It lagged on power and stalled out, and then refused to crank over. There would be a click from the starter solenoid, but that was it. Bump starting was not too effective, it would sputter over for enough time to get the gauges up, then it would die. After allowing it to cool off, it started right up. Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 04-04-2019, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds like a blown head gasket
Old 04-04-2019, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

That's my initial thought. Block tester isn't confirming it thought, so I'm not sure where to go from here. I don't want to pull the heads back off just to find out that it doesn't have a HG issue, but if it comes to that, I guess I don't have much choice.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:19 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Does the cooling system hold pressure?
Old 04-04-2019, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

I will be checking that tonight. I noticed a small puddle of coolant under the car(1/4 cup of fluid) this morning when I left for work, and there was a tiny bit of spray around the driver's side of the radiator, behind the air filter, so I am assuming that something isn't quite right. When I get home I will be checking the connections on the rad.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PyroguyFTW
I will be checking that tonight. I noticed a small puddle of coolant under the car(1/4 cup of fluid) this morning when I left for work, and there was a tiny bit of spray around the driver's side of the radiator, behind the air filter, so I am assuming that something isn't quite right. When I get home I will be checking the connections on the rad.
a pin hole leak in a hose will do this. couldnt see it unless car was running and hoses were under operating pressure, had to crawl under to look at the underside of the WP for that one.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TheUrbz
a pin hole leak in a hose will do this. couldnt see it unless car was running and hoses were under operating pressure, had to crawl under to look at the underside of the WP for that one.
Pinhole leak sorted out. It was the radiator inlet hose clamp just a bit loose. Now I've got a really weird knocking like sound that isn't quite from the engine. It only starts when the car warms up and its loudest at the front of the engine, like the timing cover/water pump area and occasionally there will be a squeaking noise

Last edited by PyroguyFTW; 04-04-2019 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:26 AM
On The Tree

squirrel with a hammer.
check all the pulleys. even when its not in use my wifes AC pulley makes a ******* racket.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:42 AM
On The Tree

It still occurs with the belt off, so it's either in the WP or the timing cover, I forgot to mention that yesterday. I'm fearful that it's something in the timing set, because I just replaced that and I really don't want to have to replace it again, but I will if I must. If it's something in the WP I'll just get an electric one to replace it.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

waterpump dripping on opti maybe?
Old 04-06-2019, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by myltwon
waterpump dripping on opti maybe?
No leaks below the car, and the opti is dry as a bone. I pulled off the DS rocker cover and the pushrods for #7 aren't flowing any oil it seems, and the squeaking is louder when I have the valve cover off

Well it's done for. The passenger side rockers weren't getting oil, either. I guess it's time for a rebuild

Last edited by PyroguyFTW; 04-06-2019 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

Does anyone know if these symptoms could be a collapsed lifter?
I'm looking for alternatives to a bad rod bearing, and I'm just digging for other alternatives now.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

pyro man i dont know if troubleshoot tree-ing your ride is the way to go bud. i know it may not be economically feasible but for the sheer peace of mind id rip the motor out and spend a weekend puttin it back together. you may stop the weird noises and querks, but you wont know for sure unless you get ***** deep in it.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TheUrbz
pyro man i dont know if troubleshoot tree-ing your ride is the way to go bud. i know it may not be economically feasible but for the sheer peace of mind id rip the motor out and spend a weekend puttin it back together. you may stop the weird noises and querks, but you wont know for sure unless you get ***** deep in it.
Long term update: pulled the engine, and as a wise man once said, S#!t's FUBAR. I need a new bottom end at the minimum, so at this point I'm trying to see if I can sell the car as a roller, and just get my "C5Z fund" started, since my long term goal is a car I can use to run and learn HPDE.

Quick Reply: Loss of power, overheating, starter not functioning.