LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Tick adjustable master adjusting

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 07:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tick adjustable master adjusting

So i installed the tick master a few years ago. Its. Been awesome. But just yesterday I noticed in traffic I am smelling something burning and my clutch felt odd. Like it was dragging and losing pressure. It also makes a weird sound. I push the clutch in and It sounds like the clutch is sliding against the pressure plate? It's very hard to explain. I dont have any issues shifting but I'm noticing this burning smell with when I'm doing a lot of stop and go. And I also had to add a pretty good amount of fluid to the resevoir (haven't added any since install)

When I installed the tick master I'm pretty sure I damaged my slave in the process. Started with pedal adjustment all the way up. Pedal was rock hard and then I actually bent the rod coming out of the slave into the bellhousin because I was standing on the pedal trying to bleed it. I switched the rod with my old one and got it working. My clutch pedal sits maybe half inch lower than brake pedal and I dont even need to depress the clutch halfway to switch gears. So I think Iv been moving too much fluid to my slave and I need to readjust my pedal because I only need it to move half as much to shift. What do u guys think? What are some symptoms of bad slave? Does anyone know what I mean by that weird sound? It's like a whooshing sliding sound of the clutch plates or something. Sorry for the crap explaination
Old 04-07-2019, 02:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Large bore MC's, like the Tick, move more fluid per = stroke distance of a stock bore size MC. So if the rod on a MC is adjusted out allowing more pedal travel than you can over extend the slave

While I use F body hydraulics on my car (B-body) my clutch pedal assembly is custom made and I have a pedal stop bolt (adjustable) so I just adjust that so the pedal stops when I have adjusted the rod on my MC (Wilwood/McLeod) to the length needed to release the clutch.

When I did the install I started with the rod adjusted short and kept adjusting it out until I got full disengagement of the clutch
Old 04-07-2019, 03:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Right that much I now understand. But I didnt do this at first so how do I know I have over extended my slave and I have also read it can damage the pressure plate? Like I said the issue I'm having is I smell clutch burning in traffic and I had to add a good bit of fluid which makes me wonder where the fluid went? I have no leaks I'm aware of. Resevoir was nearly dry. Other than the clutch seeming to be dragging recently ihave had great shifting and no issues.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Climb up under the car and remove the slave from the bellhousing. If it's leaking, you'll be able to tell pretty quick. If you're losing fluid, it's going somewhere. I had the same problem, fluid disappearing, and the slave was indeed leaking.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

And a leaking slave will cause the clutch to bleed off pressure on days like in traffic I am assuming. Alright well I suppose I'll get another one. At least there cheap. Then I'll adjust my tick properly. I can shift using only the 1st 2 inches of pedal almost even with brake. So I have wayyy too much travel.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is it possible for it to leak onto the clutch and contaminate the ceramic material? If so what happens then?