LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Opti going out ? Please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 10:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opti going out ? Please help

I got a 94 formula my problem is when starting it tends to making a like ticking noise sounds like its coming from the opti and when it starts its run perfectly fine no misfiring or anything I get the full power when pressing the petal just makes that noise when I try to start it and hesitates to start and i already replaced my fuel pump recently and ive done the icm and ingnition coil my guess mabye the opti wire which goes to the coil ? And I replaced my starter almost a year ago any ideas ?thanks and it still has the stock opti from 94
Old 05-16-2019, 10:48 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Wait until nighttime, or put the car in a dark area, start it and watch to see if there are wires arching anywhere. The ticking could also be an exhaust leak or loose spark plug, or maladjusted rocker(s).
Old 05-16-2019, 11:01 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Wait until nighttime, or put the car in a dark area, start it and watch to see if there are wires arching anywhere. The ticking could also be an exhaust leak or loose spark plug, or maladjusted rocker(s).
Its not an exhaust leak I can hear it coming from the motor itself its sounds like the opti spinning and making a clicking noise and its runs perfectly fine when it starts its just makes that noise from opti it's sounds like only when I try to start it and my guess is the opti plus its not vented and I replaced my spark pulgs and wires about 6 months ago and there's no power loss just hesitates to start making that clicking or ticking noise Idk what it is ?
Old 05-16-2019, 12:39 PM
Village Troll

Everything I mentioned the car could still run normally and what was mentioned could produce the same type of sound. The easiest thing to do is wait until tonight, open the hood, start the car and see if any plug/coil wires are arching. Even if plugs are just installed they may not have been torqued all the way (especially if anti-seize was not used) and/or can work themselves loose. An exhaust leak can be right off the block between the port and flange of your manifold/header. You can easily test this by placing the engine under load (high gear/mash the gas) and see if the "tick" becomes louder. Does the "tick" you hear correspond with RPM?
Old 05-16-2019, 12:59 PM
Teching In

Everything I mentioned the car could still run normally and what was mentioned could produce the same type of sound. The easiest thing to do is wait until tonight, open the hood, start the car and see if any plug/coil wires are arching. Even if plugs are just installed they may not have been torqued all the way (especially if anti-seize was not used) and/or can work themselves loose. An exhaust leak can be right off the block between the port and flange of your manifold/header. You can easily test this by placing the engine under load (high gear/mash the gas) and see if the "tick" becomes louder. Does the "tick" you hear correspond with RPM?
It only makes that ticking noise when the car being turned on once it starts the noise goes away ik for a fact its not an exhaust leak its a total diffrent noise from what an exhaust leak sounds like and the car hesitates to turn on most of the time now after I drive it makes that noise only when I try starting it then it goes away as soon as the engine turns over and it starts best once I let it sit overnight and start it in the morning ima do what you said and try it in the nighttime
Old 05-16-2019, 01:04 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by 505 racing
It only makes that ticking noise when the car being turned on once it starts the noise goes away....
Ah... this is usually the sign of a lifter(s) going bad- completely bleeds out after engine shuts down and is slow to pump up upon starting.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:11 PM
Teching In

Ah... this is usually the sign of a lifter(s) going bad- completely bleeds out after engine shuts down and is slow to pump up upon starting.
That might be it but I was thinking the opti Beacuse before I bought it the last owner said it sat for 10 years and that was almost a year ago I have the car already and ive change things like the raidtor heaters hoses fuel pump and new fuel filter new msd coil and icm the last thing I would think is the opti Beacuse its stock opti and the cars runs great when I punch no misfired or anything its just starting it the problem and I did a starter about 9 mothers ago too
Old 05-16-2019, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Or could it be my alternater ??? Beacuse when I turn the car over my lights in the dash like flicker when it tries to start making that noise so maybe its not getting enough volts Idk ? The car only has 79 445 original miles on it too and it sat for 10 years so mabye the alternator ?
Old 05-16-2019, 01:52 PM
Village Troll

Really hard to say without being able to hear, or be there when it happens.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

OP

just pull the belt and then start the car..is the noise still there?

If not it is one of your accessory's (alt, ps, etc)

FWIW I once had a "ticking/knock" sound from the front of the motor....it was one of the rotor screws bouncing around in my opti

If you have a "original" AC Delco opti and it works DO NOT replace it as a real AC Delco opti is now extinct and any replacement available now is marginal

You can open the Opti (remove cap & rotor) and clean it carefully if any oil or coolant has migrated into it. Just like any distributor the C&R are wear items. MSD makes a good C&R but NOT Opti

use ble loc-tite on the rotor screws