LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Water pump gasket issues LT1

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 09:39 AM
Village Troll

Received 519 Likes on 375 Posts

OP, clean ride. Is your car considered an "exotic" over there? Friend of mine worked in London for a few years and actually shipped his LT4 Vette there after going through the proper procedures of making it legal, and he said there was a lot of gawking.

Originally Posted by Phoenix'97
Excuse me, what about my comment should be ignored?
The part about tapping the gas on a cold engine. That's pretty much all I read, so....
As long as it's free revving/not under load, and not revving it to the moon (which you should never do when there is no load on an engine) what he did is perfectly fine.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

Slow down a bit, no offence meant! Not ignoring. As far as I know the only source of body parts is from scrap cars, they come up now and again but rarely and normally expensive. I have thought about it though .... I would take the other one off, get it 3D scanned (which I could do at work), mirror it in CAD and then pay a bureau to 3D print one. Laws are a curse ... I can't actually buy fog lamp bulbs here because they are not legal in UK? I have to turn to ebay and hope.
Regarding the blip ... the battery had run flat over winter, probably 10 weeks since last ran. Once started she idled for a while so I can check for leaks and engine lights and make sure the fans came on. I restarted her for the camera, the blip was just a bit, probably 2000, not over 2500. The exhaust is straight through apart from the cats (which it has to have for UK law or they would be gone), there is a back box but it just has one diagonal baffle with a matrix of 1 inch holes.

But you are exactly right regarding cold engines. You should never rev em high, cold oil and tight engine parts means hidden parts get very hot very quickly and damage will result. Maybe the YT description is misleading in that way, she was warm.

Tom
Old 06-18-2019, 01:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SS RRR
OP, clean ride. Is your car considered an "exotic" over there? Friend of mine worked in London for a few years and actually shipped his LT4 Vette there after going through the proper procedures of making it legal, and he said there was a lot of gawking.

The part about tapping the gas on a cold engine. That's pretty much all I read, so....
As long as it's free revving/not under load, and not revving it to the moon (which you should never do when there is no load on an engine) what he did is perfectly fine.
I suppose she is exotic. I meet the odd enthusiast who knows what she is, V6's are more common, Z28's are rare and she has LSD but mostly they are a bit of a secret, becoming better know as time takes it's toll on older models. There's one for sale at the moment in the UK, £4500, identical to mine a Jap import, 70k miles. I don't have the money right now but if I did I'd snap it up as well. They are a hell lot of car for the money. I don't mind sharing I pay £245 a year road tax and £170 insurance fully comp. And thats it. Well, i just checked and the conversion says $6.15 a US gallon which even we think is robbery. But it's all about smiles to the gallon. There's a rather derogatory term .. prepare yourselves ... "yank tank". This is mostly used by people who buy the same type of car as my mother-in-law used to drive but now is available with a larger engine and a spoiler to attract the younger. I'd rather have a car that was conceived as muscle car and some have smaller engine options. The wifes last small family hatch weighed 1.7 metric tonnes, the Camaro weighs under 1,5, and very quick even by modern standards. Lot of car for the bucks, a modern Eu offering thats anywhere near x 10 cost .. and full leather would be an additional option.
She does turn heads though, and the noise, there is nothing like a big V8, even just driving gently though English sleepy villages, well, possibly a V12 Merlin in a Spitfire beats her ;-)
The Vette, I'd love one, I bet that looks good? They are expensive here.
She's scary in the wet! The diff locks, so it has the additive and everything but go round a doughnut and put on just a little bit of torque and it locks. I always have the traction control on, yes I know etc, but don't want to bang her on a curb stone. The original tyres were harder, at WOT changes from 2nd to 3rd at 95, once uphill on a dry road traction control came on at 95.. lesson learnt. Softer tyres now.

Oh, I drive her like every other person on the road wants to hurt her, which generally they do.

Tom
Old 06-21-2019, 02:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
You should have read more.

Quoting the important parts. "You don't want to tap the accelerator and rev a cold engine. ... From your video you should be fine but I would wait until the engine has ran for at least five minutes before you lightly tap on the accelerator in the cold morning."

You are going to lecture me about shenanigans when you won't even read comments in full on this forum? Sheesh, dude.

Originally Posted by black5f
Hi

Slow down a bit, no offence meant! Not ignoring. As far as I know the only source of body parts is from scrap cars, they come up now and again but rarely and normally expensive. I have thought about it though .... I would take the other one off, get it 3D scanned (which I could do at work), mirror it in CAD and then pay a bureau to 3D print one. Laws are a curse ...

Tom
Tom, you should be fine! My comment was meant to stress an important point though other members misunderstood the intention behind it and I have to be understanding of that quality with them. Yes, 3D printing those wing mirrors will have to be the solution, though, I wish I had a pair to do such a thing. If worse comes to worse, perhaps some European BMW mirrors can be modified to fit on my Trans Am. At least style wise they will more complimentary of the car's shape. Oh well.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:42 AM
Village Troll

Received 519 Likes on 375 Posts

Quoting the important parts. "You don't want to tap the accelerator and rev a cold engine. ... From your video you should be fine but I would wait....
:shrug:
You’re still wrong. What he did won’t hurt a thing.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:34 AM
Teching In

Tom, you should be fine! My comment was meant to stress an important point though other members misunderstood the intention behind it and I have to be understanding of that quality with them. Yes, 3D printing those wing mirrors will have to be the solution, though, I wish I had a pair to do such a thing. If worse comes to worse, perhaps some European BMW mirrors can be modified to fit on my Trans Am. At least style wise they will more complimentary of the car's shape. Oh well.
No problem and understand. Re mirrors, If I ever have the need to take one off, I can get it scanned at work. Meanwhile I know how brittle the plastic can get so leaving well alone. One thing I did see from 3D print sales man .. a complete rear light cluster, amber indicators and all! It had been hand polished post printing, there are ways of doing things.

It's something like 90% of the wear occurs just after starting, a friend used to call it tribal knowledge. Done loads of rebuilds, (you used to have to do it yourself if you wanted a ride!) mostly inline 4's and a couple of V6s. All cast iron blocks, I wouldn't touch a alloy block with liners although if the Omega blows up I might just give it a go, all alloy V6 and 4 camshafts sounds a challenge. I always slick 50 my engines. This is not an advert! Use the single treatment stuff at around 50k when run in, again at about 120. Not had to do a bottom end in 20 years. and only one head on one of my sons ragged to hell cars. One of my old cars I sold to a taxi firm and years later got picked up in her, she had 264k miles on the clock. Guess I'd looked after her.

So I'm off for two weeks now, keep posting and I'll catch up when I get back .......

It's just a holiday ... Not being grumpy .. I'll survive .... but all my toys are at home!!!

Tom