LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

The SRZ Reborn 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 09:18 PM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thumbs up The SRZ Reborn 4.0

Well after losing the last engine built by Midwest Engine Tech in 2006 to catastrophic failure with only 800 miles back in 2011 (I will note failure wasn't due to Scott Fulkerson). Failure came from swapping over to a efi24x cam plate and the 3 studs backing off the cam and having a party! Yes lock tite and proper torque were applied to the studs. The cam did the journal walk shuffle, lifters decided to no longer lift and other lifters just failed and cracked the block in the process AND along with me washing the rings from a bad tune (initially on 1st startup) running 10's AFR's at 140mph on the autobahn for 2 hours trying to get to a BMW F1 tuner in Stuttgart didn't help the cause. I was green and still am in some regards, I should've put it on a trailer but you live and learn. Once back in the US in 08' I did manage to get it tuned to a degree...not once but twice before it ultimately let go in 2011. 657rwhp with a base tune on the 1st pull. 2 pulls later threw the 12 rib belt and trashed the ignition system as well, hence the switch to hybrid system I built using efi24x and F.A.S.T XFI along with their XIM box to run CoP setup.
2nd time it was tuned was in 2011 when the catastrophe actually happened. After tearing it down and doing a compression check, #7 was zero the remaining 7 were 15-20psi. This thing started up every time with 20psi in the cylinder and can only attribute that to F1 and the last tuner woke it up big even though we knew it sounded off but couldn't figure out why. 13 miles into, it let go. Only pics of the what it did up front below. Can't find the other pics. So that's the back story.

Engine was 388, 8:8.1cr,b lock o-ringed and studded, forged Eagle rods and billet crank, BB snout, JE -31cc dished pistons, cc306, ported stock heads, 58mm AS&M TB, 1 3/4 FLP headers, 4" mufflex exh, single tip with flowmaster race series muffler, Ebay 3" IC, F1 blower 7.65 crank and 3.85 blower pulley, 12 rib with SDCE tensioner, 96lb inj, Lonnies dual pumps, hobbs switch, Fuelab regulator, -8 parallel rails, -6 return, FAST XFI, XIM and crank trigger efi24x cam signal that's the jist of it.

Well after the grenade show, life got in the way and some life changes were made. In the process I had time to do some research and find a new builder, just wanted to try something different. So I reached out to Tick and Jonathan. 2014 I dropped the engine off with a yr build time as I was in the process of building a new home. Block wasn't salvageable so they acquired me a new one along with some changes. Engine-
Block: billet 4 bolt splayed caps, ARP head & block studs
Compression: 9.5:1
Oiling: Melling HV55, Stefs custom 7qt pan, windage tray crank scraper, trap door, front & rear baffles, 3 qt. Accusump, billet relocation kit, SS lines aeromotive fittings
Crankshaft: Custom Eagle & BB hub/snout
Connecting Rods: Eagle billet rods
Pistons: custom DSS Dished
Cylinder Heads: P&P LT1--2.02/1.60 valves
Camshaft: 248/255 .610/.604 lift
Rocker Arms: CC Pro Mag 1.6
Intake Manifold: Ported & matched LT1, 58mm AS&M TB
Ignition/Computer: F.A.S.T XFI/XIM CoP hybrid with F.A.S.T. crank trigger and 24x cam signal
Headers: Kooks 1 3/4 stepped 1 7/8
ProCharger 4.5" 1300hp IC, 4" aluminum piping and 2 Big Red Bypass valves

After 18 months building a house that should've taken 6 mos I pick the engine up in 2016 and it sits another year before making another change.. I ditch the SDCE bracket and go House of Boost Cog 80/40 tooth and a custom crank support kit from a guy in Sweden who only built 4 all billet. End up not using it but will likely in the future. Went with Spal fans thin set and Mighty Mouse fan shroud too. And since the engine was out I shot it rattle can style but then hated it so I had it shot single stage and removed the AC box altogether and had the HVAC plate cover it the hole.

HOB and mock Crank support minus the face plate.

My rattle can job and HVAC plate

Single stage prep

Single stage

Finished

So glad I did it too because it was something I've wanted done for ever and never did and this is the 7th time dropping an engine in. LOL

2018 I finally get the engine in and after not getting it to fire for almost 3 months I realized I had the no start tune loaded. Then after that was figured out I had 0 oil pressure and didn't figure that out for a few weeks only realize I had the oil lines crossed on the relocation kit. Fired right up after that and had great oil pressure. From there I worked all the bugs out to the best of my ability and after talking to the tuner 8 1/2 years later I fly him up to get it tuned and slapped on the dyno. Weather didn't cooperate and neither did a few bugs that NEVER showed their head decide to show their head on this day. WIde band took a crap and had a coolant issue. Both were fixed but by that time it was too late and just tuned my other car and that sucked too. I did manage to get the car on the road before it rained and did some low boost pulls and along with him tuning next to me and the self tune activated he says it'll be fine for me to rip after break-in but I'm taking it SLOOOOOW. 25 yrs and only 3-4 years of seat time I don't care how long it takes, I'm gonna enjoy my car for the 1st time in a long time! Don't care about numbers but it's pullied for 24psi and with the Alky dual setup I'm sure it's gonna be north of 850rwhp on meth and mid to high 700rwhp on pump. Once every last quirk is resolved and I've got it broke in along w/ a few thousands miles under my belt to ensure I know it won't break, then I may strap it on a dyno to really optimize the tune in relation to the self tune it's constantly doing and see what it puts down.

Here's a link to initial start up
and then another of a walk around
Sorry for the different media sources. Really not into all of this let alone post a build thread which this really isn't near on par with the other guys on here. I salute you, I have no patience for it! LMAO

Last edited by SRZ; 10-17-2019 at 09:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Vicious95Z28 (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

This is one of my most favorite cars/LT1 cars ever!!
I'm so glad you still have it and are finishing it!!
I've been around since 2005 and can remember this car from back in the day.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:08 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 383z
This is one of my most favorite cars/LT1 cars ever!!
I'm so glad you still have it and are finishing it!!
I've been around since 2005 and can remember this car from back in the day.
Thank you! It's been a long time, we're some old heads now lol. I use to have a Fquick page and it was fully documented there but the site is gone. Along with my journal that upset me because it helped jog my bad memory on a few things. I'm trying to be at next year Fbody bash in Myrtle Beach next yr, I've missed so many events not having my car on the road.
Blackbirdws6 (10-21-2019)
Old 10-18-2019, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Very very sweet setup brotha! Be proud of what you've built!
Old 10-18-2019, 11:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice to see a long time LT1er still at it. Good job but better patience.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:33 PM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vicious95Z28
Very very sweet setup brotha! Be proud of what you've built!
Much appreciated!
Originally Posted by Purple Poncho
Nice to see a long time LT1er still atI it. Good job but better patience.
There's a still a few of us out there still, we're spread out all over of course. It's always nice to run up on a nice LT1 but it is harder to find one these days. Either clapped out or in pristine condition. Patience? I don't know where I get it from honestly but I'm stubborn to a fault and I HATE defeat and this car and the years I've owned it is a testament to that.
Vicious95Z28 (10-19-2019)
Old 10-19-2019, 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I finally registered again after being gone for years and loved reading your post just now. I’m started a new build hopefully soon after a bad tuner! That setup is awesome and sounds great miss my blower! The engine bay looks great for a rattle can. Did you have to do anything special for the engine bay? Like why did you primer certain areas and not other places?
Old 10-20-2019, 05:06 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SCLT1
I finally registered again after being gone for years and loved reading your post just now. I’m started a new build hopefully soon after a bad tuner! That setup is awesome and sounds great miss my blower! The engine bay looks great for a rattle can. Did you have to do anything special for the engine bay? Like why did you primer certain areas and not other places?
Initially I did it with a rattle can but didn't like it and a buddy offered to shoot it for the cost of materials so I pounced on it. The whole bay was primered, that's just the pic I had.

Looking forward to your build! Sorry you had a bad experience with a tuner, I can relate lol
Old 10-20-2019, 07:04 AM
TECH Regular

Okay thanks for the info man. Whenever your done get a video of the camaro driving down the street so we can hear it! Mine will be awhile and somewhat a budget build.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Coming along well and nice to see you picking up the project again in a serious way. I'm sure it will be quite the animal once the small bugs are worked out. I kick myself a little for not going with the upgraded fuel lines setup but I guess that gives me something to do down the road.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:52 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6
Coming along well and nice to see you picking up the project again in a serious way. I'm sure it will be quite the animal once the small bugs are worked out. I kick myself a little for not going with the upgraded fuel lines setup but I guess that gives me something to do down the road.
Its easy, you order parts and we can knock it out.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:04 PM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Okay thanks for the info man. Whenever your done get a video of the camaro driving down the street so we can hear it! Mine will be awhile and somewhat a budget build.
That's the plan. I don't have any video of it ever being on the road. Just the track at Hockenheim and an old dragstrip up in Bitburg. Some buddies have video of it on the Autobahn but I never seen the video but I hear about it on occasion. LOL
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6
You get bigger lines that's just more power potential.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:06 PM
TECH Regular

Hey man can’t tell from the picture exactly but what type of bumper support are you using with the FMIC I never had one but didn’t have the setup long enough to see if problems arouse. I just cut out the factory supports just enough for the eBay intercooler to fit and bolted the top to the piece left. This time around I want to do it so there is some support around the intercooler and to possibly prevent the front end sagging...
Thanks and anything new?
Old 10-25-2019, 01:10 PM
TECH Regular

Nevermond I think you have the pro charger intercooler setup haha.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:56 PM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Hey man can’t tell from the picture exactly but what type of bumper support are you using with the FMIC I never had one but didn’t have the setup long enough to see if problems arouse. I just cut out the factory supports just enough for the eBay intercooler to fit and bolted the top to the piece left. This time around I want to do it so there is some support around the intercooler and to possibly prevent the front end sagging...
Thanks and anything new?
Mid West chassis.
Nothing new been busy with work.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:01 PM
TECH Regular

Yes I found them thanks and will be getting that.

Quick Reply: The SRZ Reborn 4.0