LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

ZF-6 to T-56 Magnum

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2019, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default ZF-6 to T-56 Magnum

Anyone converted their C4 Corvette? I know back in the day the problem was shifter location, but the new Magnum allows you to easily move it around. My ZF has always hated higher rpm shifting especially 3rd. It really bit me in the butt yesterday trying to get into the 12's!
Old 12-18-2019, 11:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Out of curiosity, have you made sure your clutch isn't dragging at all? I ask because the T-56 in my C5Z was a bit tough to shift at WOT when I had an aftermarket clutch that was dragging. Once I fixed that issue, it shifted like butter. No experience with the ZF-6 so that could just be the norm for all I know.

If you want to test it out, it's real easy. With the car stationary on level ground, press clutch pedal to the floor, put it in first gear and slowly bring the revs up to redline. If the car moves forward at all the clutch is dragging. Can also do it with the car in the air, just look to see if the rear tires spin at all.
Old 12-18-2019, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
Out of curiosity, have you made sure your clutch isn't dragging at all? I ask because the T-56 in my C5Z was a bit tough to shift at WOT when I had an aftermarket clutch that was dragging. Once I fixed that issue, it shifted like butter. No experience with the ZF-6 so that could just be the norm for all I know.

If you want to test it out, it's real easy. With the car stationary on level ground, press clutch pedal to the floor, put it in first gear and slowly bring the revs up to redline. If the car moves forward at all the clutch is dragging. Can also do it with the car in the air, just look to see if the rear tires spin at all.
It only does it in 3rd gear. Shifts perfect in all the others. Im going to try switching back to the Delco lube first then Amsoil to see which works best. If that doesn't help I'll deal with it until I decide to do 4.11s and rebuild the trans. Lol

Quick Reply: ZF-6 to T-56 Magnum