LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 09:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Build

Hello all, I’ve been collecting parts for little over half a year now for my Z28 build and am hoping to get some recommendations on how I can get the most out of my build for my goal and budget. I’m a complete newbie so I would appreciate any advice.

My goal is to have a street build with a focus on low-mid range power. I have most of my fun between stop lights and enjoy the low-end torque. It’s not my daily driver, but I definitely want a reliable build. This is what I have so far:

LE2 heads and 218/224 cam
valvetrain parts (1.6 RR, Lunati lifters, pushrods, rocker studs)
Meziere EWP
CC double roller timing set
Trickflown 30lb injectors
Magnaflow catback
Kooks LT headers and catted Y-Pipe
CAI
short throw shifter

I plan on getting:
BMR lowering springs (SP001R)
Koni STR.T street shocks and struts (8250-1005)
McLeod super street pro clutch/counter balance
3.73 or 3.90 gears (car is M6/T56)
Moser 9” rear end (not sure on what gear ratios I can choose with this)
17” or 18” rims

Any recommendations on anything else I could buy to get more out of my build? Any other supporting mods to make sure my car can handle the power? I have a pretty decent-sized budget, and want to make sure I get everything right the first time that way I don’t run into problems that could’ve been avoided.

Old 06-04-2020, 01:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

It looks like you have a really nice build plan there. I could see you being really happy with what you have listed.

With a focus on low-mid range power, some of the best ways to get there are increasing displacement and increasing cylinder fill. Increasing displacement is expensive and may be out of your budget so I'd focus on increasing cylinder fill. There are numerous ways to do this. In your case, I would focus on running as much compression as you can while still exhibiting a DCR (dynamic compression ratio) that is friendly for the gas available to you. For this you'd want to run some calculations based upon your cam timing/valve events so you'll need the full specs for that 218/224 cam available. I'd also focus on getting your quench height as ideal as you can. In simple terms, the thinner/more ideal quench will enhance your detonation resistance. A byproduct of a thinner quench is increased compression. As far as I know, the thinnest readily available LT1 head gasket would be a Victor Reinz .026" thickness gasket. I would run that gasket and then mill the heads accordingly to hit your compression target. I personally like to mill last meaning I try to hit as close as I can to my targets with gasket thicknesses, the right pistons, deck milling before shaving the heads. Shaving heads does slightly hurt flow and you can't add material back.

Quick Reply: LT1 Build