LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 WS6 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 11:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 WS6 Questions

I'm new to the site and have been reading through some of the treads and I had a few questions.

My car is a 1996 Pontiac Trans AM WS6, color is artic white, the car has full options, T-tops, auto trans and it still has the 18" factory silver rims on it.

The car was ordered new from our local Pontiac dealer in 1996 by my father.

Please, I am not wanting to defend my father's choices on brands and decisions made by him on his car. I now have the car and I am trying to get it back to a useable state and was hoping to get some help getting it back on the road.

In 2004 my father had a head gasket blow on the car and he decided at the time that he was going to put a Jasper LT1 performance create motor in the car (my brother-in -Law worked for Jasper) and he added a set of Edelbrock Performer heads to their short block. The car ran great, and he stated that the new motor was a decent improvement over the stock configuration. My father gave the stock heads to me at the time, and I donated them to a friend's project car. Yeah, I know I should have kept them, but I had no idea I would eventually end up with the TA at that time (Hindsight 20/20).

Fast forward to now, the car is still in killer shape but unfortunately has a blown head gasket again and has been passed on to me. At this point in time, I am trying to decide if I want to upgrade the performance of the motor while I am having it fixed or just call it a day and leave it the way it is. I was considering putting the rest of the Edelbrock performance package on it but after the verbal beating, I have read on here about the Edelbrock kit being a pathetic waste of money I am starting to have second thoughts. I am not looking for a race car, I am just looking for a spirited weekend cruiser. 350-400 whp would be nice. I am also not wanting to spend the cash for another set of heads. Is there anyone on here that has the full Edelbrock kit on their car? Any alternatives to the remaining Edelbrock parts that would be a good/better match with the current Edelbrock heads?

Any suggestions would be helpful,
Thanks
Robert
Old 08-24-2022, 07:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Sounds like a cool WS6 with a nice story Robert.

Upgrade while your into the engine repairs if the budget allows otherwise you'll probably regret not doing so every time you drive the car. Personally, I'd keep the upgrades daily driver friendly so the car is flexible and fun to drive in town as well on highway (ie no big honking donkey cam). I think ~380 to 400+ whp is doable with good manners.

Two blown heads gaskets? Sounds like the LT1 might have gotten air bubbles in the reverse flow cooling system or not been purged completelyof air bubbles. When the car is repair make sure whoever does the work knows the correct way to get the air bubbles out. Sometimes it's very challenging to get all the air out.

Please check out the radiator if it's the ~26+ old original. Sometimes restrictions develop in a radiator and reduce coolant flow. That can contribute head gaskets issues over time as well. Honestly, I'd want a new radiator in the car unless the current one was replaced recently. Fans, water pump and hoses should be rechecked too in my opinion. New coolant as well.

One can find OEM Gen 2 LT1 aluminum heads on car-part.com for less than ~$125 each. Cores are very affordable.

Loyld Elliott has an excellent reputation for doing quality LT1 heads and cam packages well matched to the customer's goals. I'd talk with him and see if having him port a set of factory LT1 heads and pick cam package will work for you.

Advanced Induction also had a good reputation for quality work. Communications are often very slow based on what others say. PCM of North Carolina is a possible point of contact if you want AI heads & cam.

Probably worth doing a set of 1.6 roller rockers when planning the repairs if Loyld or AI agree.

Wish you good fortune with the repairs and getting the WS6 up and running again.

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 08-24-2022 at 08:04 AM.

Quick Reply: LT1 WS6 Questions