LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Tranny Problem??

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 03:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Problem??

Was cruising around tonight, and got on it a couple times, and the last time when the car shifted from 1st-2nd, and 2nd-3rd there was like a "thud" sound. Felt like i ran over something, but I didnt. Felt like it came from the tranny. Any ideas?? Thanks.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's probably the tranny mount. The stock rubber mounts take a **** quite often, especially on LT1 cars where the rubber is old and has seen a lot of **** over the years. Mine was totally shredded in half- it would thud like 20 times in a row during acceleration. That was pretty damn scary, I thought I'd dropped something in the tranny itself. A polyurethane mount would be the strongest choice, but you may see some vibration from it. I've found that the best choice is the 1LE tranny mount, but they're pretty hard to find nowadays.

To check the mount, just use a jack to support the tranny and drop the crossmember. You'll be able to see if the mount has a crack in it. Although it doesn't sound like yours is totally shredded in half since it's only one thud.

That's my guess, but it could be something different altogether. The only thing that rubs me the wrong way is the fact that you said it happened right when the tranny shifts. Does it happen only when the tranny shifts, or does it happen during heavy acceleration also?
Old 08-15-2004, 05:38 AM
Staging Lane

Under heavy acceleration is when it happened. 1st-2nd "thud" and 2nd-3rd "thud" scared the bajesus outta me so I slowed down. When I accelerate normally, its fine. Also, my car is an A4 and has been hitting the rev-limiter A LOT lately under heavy acceleration, which it hasnt in the past. Not sure if that is maybe a sign of something, or just what A4's do.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

tranny mount.

Quick Reply: Tranny Problem??