LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt1 clutch help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lt1 clutch help!

my buddy has a '93 z28. he just replaced his clutch (himself) and he had the flywheel resurfaced. he got everything back together fine, and it works fine but he says it has WAY to much chatter. he didn't replace any of the hydrolics. then we looked up on mitchel on demand and it said do NOT resurface the flywheel. does anyone know indeed if your not to resurface the flywheel? also would this cause the large amount of chatter? could you just tear it back down, replace the flywheel and everything be fine? oh btw this is a factory replacement clutch, car has about 70k on it. thanks for the help
-Jim
Old 10-07-2004, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 12stones
my buddy has a '93 z28. he just replaced his clutch (himself) and he had the flywheel resurfaced. he got everything back together fine, and it works fine but he says it has WAY to much chatter. he didn't replace any of the hydrolics. then we looked up on mitchel on demand and it said do NOT resurface the flywheel. does anyone know indeed if your not to resurface the flywheel? also would this cause the large amount of chatter? could you just tear it back down, replace the flywheel and everything be fine? oh btw this is a factory replacement clutch, car has about 70k on it. thanks for the help
-Jim
My 97 has chattered from day one GM says some of them just do that I say BS. I replaced my clutch with a centerforce dual friction and didn't surface the fly wheel and I still have chatter unless I am in on the clutch pedal. I have been told that it could be a throw out bearing the tranny was sent to D&D in mchigan and they said nothing internal was wrong. So I hope maybe the throw out may be bad.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ALWAYS resurace IF it is not to warped. Any time you cut a LT1 Wheel there is a chance of chatter

BTW what clutch did you use?
Old 10-07-2004, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

well its not my car but i beilve he said he just used a factory replacement
Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
ALWAYS resurace IF it is not to warped. Any time you cut a LT1 Wheel there is a chance of chatter

BTW what clutch did you use?
Old 10-08-2004, 09:34 AM
STF Veteran

Had mine cut and never had a problem. I used an LT4 clutch that time.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went from stock clutch in my 97 to resurfaced stock flywheel + spec stage 2 with no chatter.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:23 PM
TECH Resident

so what could it be, possibly a throwout bearing? i'm not sure but i dont beilve he replaced it. and i know he didnt replace the hydrolics
Old 10-09-2004, 01:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 93 Z, replaced the clutch with a McLeod clutch & throwout bearing, and a new OE flywheel all myself. No chattering problems. Believe resurfacing is always a must if you do not replace the flywheel. I find it hard to believe the new factory clutch package did not come with a throwout bearing part as well.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah the clutch is supposed to have a new throwout with it , usually. Maybe slave causing problems. Good idea to change slave while your doing clutch. Your positive the clutch disk is in correct and not backwards?

Quick Reply: lt1 clutch help!